Denver certainly has plenty of activities to offer those seeking a fun and romantic outing in the city. For those looking to entertain a date without breaking the bank, check out these 10 free and cheap date ideas to try in the Mile High City.
Cycle the city
Denver is a great city to explore via bicycle; there are miles of bike lanes throughout, making it safe and easy to pedal around the city. There are also plenty of urban parks and trails to explore. You can catch the Cherry Creek or Platte River Trail at Confluence Park. You can bring your own bicycles or rent a bike from Denver’s B-Cycle, which has bike stations all over the city; they all accept credit cards. Bike rentals are available for the day or in increments of 30 minutes if you’re looking for a shorter ride.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Go for a picnic
If the weather is warm, plan a romantic picnic in one of Denver’s many city parks. You can enjoy idyllic Washington Park, complete with its lakeside views. After your picnic, be sure to take a stroll through the flower gardens. Cheesman Park in the Capitol Hill neighborhood offers plenty of green grass perfect for a picnic, as well as the stunning Walter Scott Cheesman Pavilion. Finally, City Park has vast amounts of space to find a private spot for you and your date, as well as lakes, statuary, and plenty of walking paths to stroll around holding hands.
Take a brewery tour
Denver is certainly a beer city, and there’s no better way to take in the Denver vibe with your sweetie than to attend a tour of one of the many local breweries. The city’s first brewpub, Wynkoop Brewing Company, offers tours Tuesdays through Saturdays at 3:00 pm and 4:00 pm; they also have pool or darts for a bit of fun. Great Divide Brewing Company offers tours every day of the week, with no reservations required. You’ll love sampling any of the beers on tap or in bottles, and may even be lucky enough to try a Tap Room-only special release. Several companies, such as Denver Microbrew Tour, also offer walking tours that will take you to multiple breweries, sampling beers and learning a little bit of beer history along the way.
First Friday Art Walk
If you’re looking to explore some of Denver’s local art, take your date to First Friday Art Walk. The Art District on Santa Fe runs their First Fridays from 6–9 pm the first Friday of every month. You’ll have free entry into 30 participating galleries and artist studios; there will also be restaurant specials and food carts galore. The River North Arts District also hosts First Fridays, and you can expect to find plenty of special events, from art openings to live music.
Browse for books
For the bookworm, an afternoon browsing the shelves at one of Denver’s historic bookstores is a perfect date. Tattered Cover Bookstore has three Denver locations, including Colfax, LoDo, and Union Station, all worth visiting. It has a cozy feel, creating an ideal environment where you can spend some time sharing a book on one of the overstuffed sofas or sipping coffee in the café. Also, you shouldn’t miss the section that highlights local authors.
Explore Denver history
There’s no better way to spend some time walking around with one another and exploring Denver’s rich history than with Denver Story Trek. You can take self-guided tours on foot or by bicycle and use major Denver landmarks marked with Trek Connect signs as a guide. You’ll find routes that take you through the chronological history of Denver, as well as themed tours. You can also put together your own custom route and access audio recordings on your phone to learn about each site’s official history. It’s a fun do-it-yourself historic adventure.
Catch a baseball game
If you’re in town during baseball season, consider visiting Coors Field to watch the Colorado Rockies play. The stadium has a special section of seating known as “The Rockpile,” where you can sit and watch a game for eight bucks. It’s like a party in the outfield, with some of the most enthusiastic fans around.
Enjoy a free movie outside
Outdoor summer movies in Denver are a big deal. There are parks all over the city that host free movies in the moonlight, making for a perfect romantic outing. Civic Center Cinema invites Denverites to come out on Wednesday evenings for free movies in Civic Center Park. Movies begin at dusk, and food trucks open at 6:30 pm for a cheap bite to eat. Picnics are also welcome.
Go for ice cream
Denver’s ice cream scene is on point, and there’s nothing better than sharing a few scoops of some of the best sweet treats around. One quirky option is Little Man Ice Cream in LoHi; it’s in the shape of a giant milk can. For fun daily flavors, Colorado ingredients, and vegan options, Sweet Action on South Broadway is a great choice. There is also the historic Bonnie Brae Ice Cream, where you can enjoy over 80 classic flavors.
Take a hike
There’s no better way to spend time together than exploring the Denver outdoors. You’ll find several great hiking trails just outside the city to give you a taste of Colorado’s amazing beauty. You can wander along Bear Creek Trail in Morrison and spend some time in Lair o’ the Bear Park. There is also Roxborough State Park near Littleton where you can explore several trails on your own or take a guided hike with a naturalist to learn about the park’s fascinating geological history. Red Rocks Park is another excellent locale and is home to one of the finest outdoor concert venues in the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.