If you’re thinking about visiting Denver and surrounding areas in Colorado, but you aren’t sure what to expect, there are plenty of movies and TV shows that will give a sense of The Centennial State. These 10 films and TV shows pay homage to Colorado in some way and are definitely worth checking out before your next visit.
Writer and director Stanley Kubrick’s film version of Stephen King’s classic novel of the same name stars Jack Nicholson as Jack Torrance, a struggling writer who takes a job as the caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, somewhere in the Colorado Rockies. Horror ensues for Torrance and his family. Not only does the movie show what Colorado winters are like in the mountains, but the Overlook Hotel was based on the famous Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, which you can still visit today.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
South Park is an adult cartoon series, now in its 21st season, and is perhaps the most famous Colorado-themed TV show and movie. Named for the fictional town in which it takes place, the show tells the story of four boys in grade school. It gives a feel for the Rocky Mountains and also shows many Colorado landmarks. Creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, got their start in film studies at the University of Colorado Boulder, which has made them hometown heroes of sorts.
The Real World: Denver
This long-running MTV reality series took place in Denver during the 18th season. The seven contestants lived in a two-story building right in the heart of Lower Downtown and worked for Outward Bound, where they were trained in wilderness courses and took at-risk teens on hiking treks, during which the at-home viewers also get to experience the great Colorado outdoors.
Dumb and Dumber
The classic road-trip comedy Dumb and Dumber , follows the adventures of Lloyd Christmas and Harry Dune, who take off across the country to return a lost briefcase to a pretty lady in Aspen. Some of the movie takes place among the Aspen ski-town crowd. These scenes were filmed in Breckenridge, Colorado and the Stanley hotel in Estes Park.
The Ranch is a Netflix original comedy series set on fictional Iron River Ranch in Colorado. The opening sequence features scenes from the town of Ouray and surrounding Ouray County, and the show depicts life on a ranch, an important part of Colorado culture.
Catch and Release
Catch and Release  is set in Boulder and follows Gray and her developing relationship with Fritz, her deceased fiancé’s best friend. Many of the scenes were actually filmed on location in Boulder.
Dan Harmon’s comedy Community is set at a Greendale Community College in fictional Greendale, Colorado. It is not only hilarious, but it also gives a real idea of life in the Denver suburbs. Follow the adventures of the central study group for all six seasons.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
The classic Western Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid , is loosely based on the true story of Wild West outlaws Robert LeRoy Parker, also known as Butch Cassidy, and Harry Longabaugh, also known as The Sundance Kid. The movie is filmed in various parts of Colorado, including Telluride, where these famous outlaws robbed their first bank. Not only will you see some beautiful Colorado spots, but you’ll also get a feel for the Wild West history that still permeates Denver’s culture today.
Drama series Everwood is set in fictional Everwood, Colorado, and follows the story of Dr. Andy Brown and his family. Although the series wasn’t actually filmed in the state, it does a great job depicting life in a mountain town.
Mork and Mindy
For some classic television, check out Mork and Mindy, featuring Robin Williams as a lovable alien learning about human life in Boulder, Colorado. The setting gives you a feel of Colorado in the late 1970s through the early 1980s.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.