Santa Barbara – billed as the American Riviera – is a dream California destination for art lovers during the Annual Open Studios Tour over Labor Day weekend.
Scenic Santa Barbara has a vibrant community of renowned artists, but many of their studios aren’t open to the public. That makes the annual Santa Barbara Studio Artists Open Studios Tour (September 3-6, 2021), which always takes place over Labor Day weekend, a rare opportunity to see museum-quality art for a small fee (tickets from $25). The tour is one of the most anticipated annual events in the regional art calendar and usually produces over $100,000 in sales, but you don’t have to be a monied art collector to participate.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Santa Barbara Studio Artists members (all chosen by a jury, with works showcased in collections from Los Angeles to New York and Paris) open their doors to anyone interested in viewing exceptional art. Yellow flags identify the location of open studios, located throughout downtown, Santa Barbara’s various neighborhoods and up into the hills (a map steers the way). Most artists are painters, but sculptors, mosaic and mixed-media studios are also there to be explored. Whether you like impressionistic watercolor landscapes or contemporary ceramics, no doubt there’ll be an artist who’ll catch your eye. A perfect excuse for a weekend of surfing, State Street shopping and Santa Ynez wineries, with our curated collection of Santa Barbara hotels and experiences – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Santa Barbara is already lively over Labor Day weekend. Hotels are full of guests taking advantage of the summer’s last long weekend. The Open Studios Tour draws about 40 percent of its visitors from out of town – including LA, San Luis Obispo and other more far-flung destinations. Well-known local artist Priscilla Fossek says the tour revs up the local art scene. “Creative souls often sequester themselves away in their caves, so the tour gives them an opportunity to interact. Downtown comes alive because folks travel from studio to studio in groups and then dine out together to buzz about the stuff they saw,” says Fossek. Lesser-known artists, who may not even be involved in the tour, get greater exposure because of the well-educated and well-heeled crowd the event draws. “It puts them on the map,” adds Fossek.
Continue the theme with a refined weekend trip that blends art, architecture and cuisine. The Santa Barbara Museum of Art has revealed a new multi-floor wing that houses contemporary art and photography exhibitions. It was designed by architect Bob Kupiec, who has worked on such illustrious projects as the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and the restoration of New York’s Bryant Park.
At the Rosewood Miramar Beach in Montecito, the new Revere Room restaurant, named after iconic LA architect Paul Revere Williams, showcases ingredients from local farmers, fishermen, ranchers and the resort’s back yard, like oysters from Morro Bay and an oak-charred pork chop with sweet-and-sour baked beans. The stunning space has chinoiserie on the pale blue walls and a parquet floor, with tables spilling out onto the lawn where you can reap the last long days of summer.
Meanwhile, chef Peter Lee, formerly the master cook for Joël Robuchon Las Vegas and executive chef for acclaimed Loquita in Santa Barbara, has opened Secret Bao near the Santa Barbara County Courthouse. The menu features the chef’s favorite comfort foods and pan-Asian cuisine, from the Korean rice dish of bibimbap and Japanese gyoza to udon carbonara and bacon kimchi-fried rice.
On the edge of the hip Funk Zone neighborhood, with its galleries and urban wine-tasting rooms, head to Test Pilot where bartenders whip up addictive cocktails in a historic space that was once a brig for drunken sailors. Belly up to the bar for a Lion’s Tail with bourbon, Caribbean allspice, lime and pineapple, to see out your weekend in style.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.