Halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, this Pacific Coast Highway stopover offers a Californian blend of wholesome outdoor activities and laid-back, small-town living, where cafes, seafood shacks and boutique shops are complemented by the hiking trails and wildlife viewing at Morro Bay State Park.
This welcoming combination means Morro Bay tends to keep people sticking around. So, keep your plans flexible even if you’re planning to stay overnight, and reserve a room at one of these hand-picked hotels in Morro Bay, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In an enviable lagoon-hugging location, this low-slung Morro Bay hotel delivers front-row views of boats, birds and tangerine sunsets, best enjoyed on your private balcony while wrapped in a snug blanket with a glass of Central Coast wine in hand. An 18-hole golf course is just a chip-shot away and area hotspots like Hearst Castle are not much further. Less active types can unwind by the heated pool, feast on dock-fresh seafood at the on-site restaurant and nap in rooms dressed in nautical whites and blues.
This modern family-owned Morro Bay hotel perches on the quieter end of the Embarcadero waterfront promenade with easy access to dining, ranging from simple to sumptuous, as well as galleries, shops and a nature center. For real-world nature close-ups, rent a kayak to paddle around protected Morro Rock with its resident seabirds, including the once-endangered peregrine falcons. Back at the hotel, a hot tub and comfy rooms with gaslit fireplaces are perfect for capping off a day of seaside adventure.
It’s not the decision of whether or not to book the spacious king rooms at Ascot Suites which may create a problem (you should, by the way) it’s deciding between balcony or bay window views. Feel free to mull it over a blended iced mocha at the Rock Espresso Bar across the street. If you need a few minutes more, chew on it at Pizza Port along with cheesy slices and beer. Whichever you choose, don’t miss views of the sun setting behind Morro Rock from the rooftop deck.
The Masterpiece Hotel wasn’t named just for its location in Morro Bay – on the hillside, looking out over the water. Slip into your swimsuit and you’ll be soaking alongside life-sized murals of mythological creatures in the indoor Roman spa. The guest rooms, especially the La Bahia Suite, with a fireplace, are comfortable and affordable. While the classical and modern art hung throughout the lobby may be reproductions, you can be guaranteed a fully authentic Morro Bay experience here.
Get ready to be a beach bum, Big Lebowski-style, at the Beach Bungalow Inn and Suites. The only items on your to-do list for the day are to wake up in your queen bed, hop on a Bungalow bicycle and roll down to the beach for a few hours, warm up by the fireplace when the sun goes down. Whether or not you throw on a complimentary bathrobe and shuffle over to the Libertine Pub for a white Russian is up to you.
Like the name, this family-owned hotel keeps things simple but does them well. Right from the start, you’ll feel right at home in the king suites with full kitchens, open-beam ceilings and hardwood floors mixing coastal cottage with stylish, modern living. Whenever you take the mile walk to Morro Rock, take a few minutes to admire the old school Monterey-style Spindrift and other vintage boats at the Morro Bay Maritime Museum.
The bay is all yours when you stay at the Gray’s Inn fully furnished apartments, located right on the Embarcadero. The bedroom, bathroom and kitchen all cater to everyday living, but it’s the unobstructed bay views and waterfront patio decks in every apartment which bring those vacation vibes home. Before checking out, browse the collection of local artwork in the gallery and bring a piece of the Central Coast home to hang on your wall.
The pet-friendly Bayfront Inn at the Waterfront is located a few paces from where otters play. Grab a handful of saltwater taffy from the lobby, run down to the pier to snap a few photos of the playful rascals. Seals have been known to photo-bomb guests by hopping up on the docks, so you might land yourself one heck of a selfie. Just don’t be surprised if your dog gets jealous when you make it back to the hotel.
Travelling through Cali on a budget? Check out our guide to the cheapest Morro Bay hotels – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Andrea Schulte-Peevers contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.