Venice, California, has always done its own thing. Founded in 1905, it started out as an alternative area. Developer Abbot Kinney founded it to be the ‘Venice of America.’ This posh and bohemian community offers the chance to explore Italian-inspired canals and an expanding restaurant scene. Known for its famous boardwalk, biking trails, and beautiful beaches, discovering the best in Venice is a matter of delving into these major attractions, and uncovering a few hidden gems along the way.
Jay’s Rentals Venice Beach
Jays Rentals has become a staple in the community. In a prime location right off Venice Beach, the rental shop offers everything needed to enjoy a day outside. The family-owned business caters to the whole family, with everything from bicycles, to surfboards, roller stakes, accessible bikes, and baby seats. Jay’s is known for being featured in commercials and films (including TV’s Wilfred), and Leonardo DiCaprio favors the spot for a bike rental. Jay’s focuses on fun and friendly customer service and always goes above and beyond to meet guests’ highest expectations.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
1501 Ocean Front Walk, Venice, CA, USA + 1 310 392 7306
The Rose Café
An ingrained part of the culture of Venice since 1979, The Rose Café is a must-try on a visit to the city. The full market and café re-opened this past November, now the project of Southern California’s own Chef Jason Neroni. The indoor/outdoor dining spot is an iconic one. The bakery celebrates American classics, using the best fresh ingredients from the local farmers’ market. Enjoy a Southern California breakfast with house-made smoothies and the rose breakfast burrito. Lunch could be a lamb shawarma pizza or a ricotta gnocchi and a wakame spaghetti or a seasonal vegetable tartlet for dinner. Peruse works from local artists on the walls, among a décor of textured tiles and white oak that reflects the spirit of the city.
220 Rose Ave, Venice, CA, USA +1 310 399 0711
The Beach at Venice Beach
The famed Venice Beach is a hard spot to miss in the city. One of the main attractions, it offers the perfect location to enjoy the best of the Californian lifestyle. Relax and play among the Pacific waves while soaking up the beauty of the surroundings on the coast. Beneath idyllic palm trees in a place where it’s sunny year round, you can let all of your troubles melt away.
Venice Beach Boardwalk
With over 16 million visitors a year, the Venice Beach Boardwalk is known as one of the top free things to do in all of Los Angeles. The Ocean Front Walk stretches out along for three miles beside Venice Beach with something for everyone. It has a collection of eclectic shops, cafés, and vendors, and you can find anything from beach volleyball courts to a paved skateboard park. Enjoy street performers with other visitors and then continue on to Muscle Beach outdoor gym to try out the gymnastics playground, beach volleyball courts, and skate dancing plaza.
Venice Beach Bike Path
One of the most popular activities in Venice, the bike path by the beach is an easy and entertaining way to enjoy the California sun. The popular path runs between the boardwalk and famous Venice Beach, continuing up the coast to Santa Monica Beach. On a bike, skateboard, roller skates, or by foot, the rental shops nearby make it automatically a great choice to spend the day. Enjoy the popular spot by bringing your camera to capture some unique photos of people and a colorful scenery you won’t ever be able to re-create.
Venice Canal Historic District
A unique creation from the mind of the city’s founder, Abbot Kinney, the Venice Canals are an echo of their European counterparts. Known as one of the best places in Los Angeles to take a leisurely stroll, many of the homes surrounding the canals have been restored. The original canals stretched for 16 miles, but now they last for a few blocks. Just south of Venice Boulevard and just minutes from the beach, the canals are a necessary spot to explore to get the best of the culture and history of Venice.
Abbot Kinney Boulevard
Dubbed the ‘coolest block in America‘ by GQ, Abbot Kinney Boulevard is one of the most creative spots in the city. It is a prime location to get some shopping done while taking in the sights and sounds that characterize the spirit of Venice. Explore the best boutiques, bars, restaurants, and galleries. Find everything from vintage denim and out-of-print books to your new favorite cup of java at Intelligentsia.
Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary
The little-known Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary is found in a small park in Venice that used to be a rundown public lot. Find and enjoy the sight of a bright orange flurry of the creatures congregating on a stop between Northern California and Mexico.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.