Planning a trip to Lake Tahoe? The Californian region surrounding the largest alpine lake in North America is home to some pretty special hotels – from a luxurious resort with high-altitude golfing to a hotel that allows you to camp indoors. These are the best places to stay in Lake Tahoe – bookable with Culture Trip.
This luxurious five-star hotel, with elegant interiors crafted from stone, sits on the shores of Lake Tahoe, looking out on the lake through expansive windows. It has an architect-designed golf course, one of the top public golf courses in the world, which, at an altitude of more than 6,200ft (1,890m), is also a great vantage point. Meanwhile, there are three distinctive restaurant experiences on site: a casual golf-inspired bar just steps from the 18th hole, a relaxed bar and bistro, and a fine-dining restaurant. If you overdo it with wine during dinner, reserve a spot at the spa the next day and make your full recovery via a Heavenly Healing treatment, which includes a Swedish massage.
Set on the waterfront in North Lake Tahoe, this scenic resort is one of the best places to stay in Lake Tahoe for exploring the region’s picturesque trails, enjoying watersports or skiing. There’s as much to discover within the resort itself, where you’ll find an award-winning spa, numerous pools and six restaurants and bars, including a relaxed poolside bar, a sports saloon and an upscale restaurant. After you’ve eaten your way around, head to the beach and take in the views of the High Sierra Nevada mountains while chowing down on BBQ favorites right off the grill.
Make yourself at home at this cozy, lodge-like resort near the north shore of Lake Tahoe. Its 55 rooms have been designed with comfort in mind – and some even have views out over the Sierra Nevada. Animal lover traveling with a canine companion? You’re in luck, as all rooms are pet-friendly. Elsewhere, the Plumpjack Bar offers a seasonal menu, with an award-winning wine list. Time it right and enjoy one of the special wine dinners held throughout the year with guest winemakers.
As the name suggests, Cedar House Sport Hotel is all about embracing the great outdoors. Located in Truckee, one of California’s oldest towns, the hotel is a base camp for sporting activities throughout the year. In summer and spring, climb mountains, explore miles of hiking trails and try your hand at watersports on the lake. In winter, the area is home to 13 ski resorts and unlimited backcountry access. Whatever the season, wrap up each day by retreating to the comfortable rooms and communal areas, which have been crafted from recycled and natural materials.
Located in South Lake Tahoe, this is the original Basecamp hotel, designed to provide a convenient and comfortable base for exploring the mountains, lakes and trails of the Lake Tahoe Basin. It’s a five-minute walk to the lakeshore and the Heavenly gondola is even closer. The 73 rooms have all the conveniences you’ll need, and range from single and family rooms to the Explorer’s Room, which can sleep up to eight in bunk beds. For something unique, book the Great Indoors room, which features a faux log fire, camping chairs and an indoor tent.
Basecamp Tahoe City, the latest addition to the Basecamp group, is in the heart of Tahoe City and, like Basecamp South Lake Tahoe, there’s a Great Indoors room that kids will love. Here you can have the camping experience without the hassle or risk of bad weather, and there’s an adjoining room for added privacy. The Lobby Bar features a curated selection of local microbrews, wines and snacks, and s’mores are served daily on the deck from 5pm to 10pm. Can you think of a better way to round off a day in the mountains?
Looking for a place to stay in Lake Tahoe with superlative lake views? Book a room at the Landing Lake Tahoe Resort & Spa. Each of the 82 individual rooms has a stunning view of the lake, as well as serious creature comforts. Jimmy’s Restaurant is also worth a visit: its wood-fired Californian cuisine shines a spotlight on fresh seafood and locally sourced ingredients, and there are several private dining alcoves, each with its own fireplace. If you need to get away from it all, opt for a treatment at the spa – the coffee and coconut body wrap will have you feeling fresh in no time.
Not quite what you had in mind? Discover the best spa hotels in Lake Tahoe, now bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.