Monterey, in north California on the beautiful Monterey Bay, boasts wide sandy beaches as well as the bustling Cannery Row made famous by John Steinbeck. There are many appealing inns, hotels and resorts for a comfortable stay. Read on to discover our pick of the best hotels in Monterey – all bookable on Culture Trip.
The Stevenson Monterey offers an uncomplicated stay with all you could need. Contemporary rooms – including family-sized and accessible options – come with the usual amenities, including HDTVs and hypoallergenic pillows. Plus there’s a 24-hour front desk, and a seasonally heated, lounger-filled pool. Free indoor and outdoor parking means you can discover the area by car, but there’s plenty within walking distance of this Downtown stay, from Fisherman’s Wharf (around 10 minutes) to Monterey Bay Aquarium (30 minutes).
This wins its place on our list of best Monterey hotels, because it’s AAA Four Diamond awarded, environmentally conscious and, of course, pet friendly. Tuck into fresh Californian cuisine at the hotel’s restaurant and sample craft beers at the on-site Brewpub. Your dog will love the patio as much as you, as you sip by the fire pit. Don’t miss a visit to the award-winning Spa on the Plaza – the largest day spa in Monterey County – at this Monterey-Bay-side stay.
Hotels in Monterey don’t get much more convenient than this downtown stay featuring free on-site parking. You’ll appreciate the boutique room touches like the eco-friendly toiletries, beverage coolers and, in some, fireplaces or balconies. Dip in the heated outdoor pool when the sun is shining, then take advantage of the restaurant’s daily happy hour. The ever-changing menu includes locally-sourced fish, thoughtfully served in accordance with the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch Guidelines. Wake up to breakfast on the terrace.
Customize your vacation here, from boutique hotel rooms with different features like garden-view balconies, vaulted ceilings and French doors; to suites in 1830-built The Merritt House which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Tree-surrounded suites boast living areas, baths, fireplaces and eclectic, old-glamour furnishings and accessories. Sip a glass of local vino at the hotel’s Wine & Cheese Hour and try local bakery goodies in the continental breakfast offerings.
This boutique hotel on Cannery Row is one of the well-located beach hotels in Monterey: it boasts a rooftop hot tub overlooking the Monterey Bay Sanctuary. Choose a room with an ocean-view balcony, and you might spot sea life through the complimentary binoculars. The Panoramic Oceanfront Room has especially impressive scapes plus a two-person jetted tub blessed with views. Hotel staff will bring the luxuries to you, including complimentary in-room continental breakfast and bookable private massages or facials.
Victorian Inn – located near Cannery Row and plenty of restaurants – exudes classical style. Rooms come with different highlights like a marble fireplace, balcony, vaulted ceilings or window seats. Your dogs are welcome at this eco-friendly stay which meets the Green Seal™ Environmental Standard for Lodging Properties. Take breakfast-time seasonal fruits and ham and cheese croissants up to the iron wrought table and chair-strewn rooftop, and help yourself to complimentary hot drinks in the lobby when you need warming up after your chilly Pacific swim.
Pick a room that suits your style at this boutique hotel in Monterey with decor different to each: think artsy wall features, vintage accessories and amenities like jetted tubs for two. You’ll find quirky, vintage styling throughout the hotel, located across from Del Monte State Beach. Special occasion? Order treats to your room such as champagne and a poem; and head to the rooftop for cocktails and a charcuterie platter, or Mediterranean-style dinner such as souvlaki plates. The hotel is over-18s-only: a good atmosphere for grown-up stays.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is an updated version of an article originally by Helen Silverstein.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.