Seaside views and quaint local shops make the coastal town of Monterey Bay, California a must-visit destination for any adventurous traveler. With so many activities to cross off the list, it’s important to stay fuelled. We’ve compiled a list of top local restaurants to keep you energized.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Monterey’s Fish House
Monterey’s Fish House has the quintessential lure of a coastal community restaurant, but what sets their menu apart is the use of an oak-fired grill. Modern interpretations of classic dishes like oysters, snapper, and swordfish (which all come oak grilled) keep people coming back time and again. One thing’s for sure – if you want an evening of mouth-watering seafood, the Fish House is the place for you.
A Taste of Monterey
If a photo is worth a thousand words, then the views at this local hotspot could fill several books. A Taste of Monterey not only boasts the best views on the North Shore, but it’s got the most exquisite wine and beer list you’ll find in the Bay. Originally opened as a tasting room in 1993, owners Ken and Robyn Rauh have developed a complementary menu of delicious fare over the years. Every dish can be paired with something good to drink.
El Cantaro Vegan Mexican Restaurant
For those who prefer their tacos meat-free, El Cantaro Mexican Restaurant is gourmet for vegans. Don’t let the lack of meat scare you; the most dedicated carnivores find gratification here. El Cantaro takes everything you love about delicious Mexican classics – flavor, spice, and south of the border ingredients – and makes delicious, unique concoctions without animal products. Crowd favorites include their ‘chickin’ taquitos and potato tacos.
Hula’s Island Grill
Hula’s Island Grill is a great spot for all the family. Moments from Cannery Row, its wide range of tropical fare is sure to satisfy all appetites. If the Hawaiian decor, relaxed atmosphere, and Bob Marley tunes playing in the background aren’t persuasive enough, you won’t be able to resist their Hawaiian jerk dishes. With a menu full of intense flavors, this tiki bar themed restaurant is a fun family vacation hangout.
LouLou’s Griddle in the Middle eatery is as entertaining as it is delicious. This classic American locale on the Wharf boasts a hearty number of comfort food appetizers. You can’t go wrong with the ‘Monster Burger’, and if you’re feeling adventurous plump for their daily special which is, in their words “usually something treadmill-worthy!”
The art of culinary creation isn’t lost on the chefs at Monterey’s Chart House. This picturesque formal dining restaurant by the sea will blow you away. We recommend starting with one of the generous portions of calamari, moving on to the succulent prime rib, and finishing the evening off with the glutinous-sounding ‘lava cake’.
La Bahia Mexican American Cuisine
If you’re on a budget but love quality food, don’t miss out on La Bahia (The Bay). With its warm atmosphere, attentive waiting staff, and homemade chips and salsa, this venue provides an all-round enjoyable experience. The sauces are rich in flavor, the tortillas are hot off the press, and the meats are tender and succulent. It’s a bargain in the Bay.
If you’re looking for a little escape Bistro Moulin makes for the perfect romantic evening. This French style brasserie, complete with tablecloths and dusty wine bottles has a decadent menu full of classics such as steak bordelaise, coq au vin, and ossobuco alla Milanese. If you have any room left, indulge in one of the rich desserts.
The Fish Hopper
Hop on down to the pier of Cannery Row, and one of Monterey’s staples The Fish Hopper. This impressive place is partnered with the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch Program, ensuring it only serves sustainable and environmentally responsible seafood. The menu is bursting with fresh seafood, steak, pasta, and much, much more. Come for the food, stay for the views – nowhere in Monterey offers such spectacular panoramas of the beach and beyond.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.