San Diego is a Californian dream, and by setting your sights on two of its most dynamic neighbourhoods, you’re guaranteed a thrilling introduction to this iconic destination.
Considered the birthplace of California, San Diego stretches out along the coast, an intriguing product of myriad influences. A road trip through its Old Town and Barrio Logan neighbourhoods will give you a glorious introduction to this riveting city. Life plays out on the streets in a warm and colourful way, urging you to get involved and explore.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Your exploration of Old Town San Diego simply has to start with the Bazaar Del Mundo. This artisan-led market is a riot of colour, and a celebration of traditional crafts and Mexican influences. Housed in a collection of white, traditional buildings, this is the place to meet local craftspeople and shop their creations. But that’s not all, you’ll also find African stone carvings, Russian dolls and Chinese silk paintings. Eclecticism at its best.
The charming neighbourhood of Old Town itself sits within a State Historic Park, which was created to preserve the founding areas as they existed during the early Mexican period, until the focus of the city shifted to Downtown in 1872. The city was California’s first with a mission and a fort; its history is worthy of a deep dive.
Highlights to get on your itinerary in this neighbourhood include: Casa de Estudillo, one of the oldest examples of Spanish architecture in Mexican California; the Whaley House Museum, one of most haunted houses in San Diego; and the Junípero Serra Museum, which traverses the city’s history, from tales of the original inhabitants, the Kumeyaay, to present-day San Diego. Check out the exhibits and admire the historical journey.
The quickest way to get to know a place can often be by sampling its culinary creations and there are more than 30 restaurants to choose from in this neighbourhood. Whether you’re after giant margaritas at Casa Guadalajara; lobster at Rockin’ Baja Lobster; tacos at Barra Barra, or upscale dining and an extensive tequila menu at El Agave Restaurant & Tequileria, San Diego really does know how to please the palate. Think buzzing, open-air eateries and kaleidoscopic colour palettes for the most part, too. This is a neighbourhood where the food is vibrant and delicious, and the fun is guaranteed.
Next, make tracks for the Heritage County Park. Adjacent to Old Town, this sprawling park provides a gentle introduction to the architecture favoured by the wealthier inhabitants of the city in the 1880s and 1890s. There’s a fine collection of Victorian architecture, spanning from Italianate to Queen Anne, and the park is home to the city’s first synagogue.
The lively celebration of the city’s proximity to Mexico is illustrated in live mariachi bands and colourful flags wherever you go. This vocal and vibrant reverence is continued in Barrio Logan, but in a very different style. These two neighbourhoods complement and contrast each other, so it’s wise to explore them both when visiting San Diego.
Arrive hungry for local eats at Las Cuatro Milpas. You won’t be alone, though. The line that snakes out of this eatery is well-known, but it exists for good reason. Fried tacos, rolled tacos, burritos, rice, beans, tamales; it’s all lovingly prepared by the descendants of the founders, and has been keeping locals happy since 1935. Pick up your delicious choices and head to Chicano Park.
Situated under the overpass of the San Diego-Coronado bridge, Chicano Park is home to the largest collection of outdoor murals in the US. It’s a beautiful juxtaposition of concrete-pillared freeways and brightly painted odes to Mexican-American culture. Designated a National Historic Landmark in 2017, its sociopolitical significance, as well as its artistic impact, has long been observed and appreciated.
In fact, this is a neighbourhood dedicated to art, with a vibrant combination of galleries and street murals. For a taste of both, don’t miss the Barrio Art Crawl. This free self-guided arts trail takes place in Barrio Logan every second Saturday of the month and showcases galleries and artists, as well as pop-up street art.
For craft beer with a decidedly bi-national appeal, you will want to check out Border X Brewing, which holds the distinction of being San Diego’s first Mexican-owned brewery. Located on Logan Avenue, Border X brews are inspired by Latin flavours, including its Blood Saison, Horchata Golden Stout and Abuelita’s Chocolate Stout. With tasters, flights and pints, you have no excuse not to try these creative offerings. Beyond its craft beer, Border X is known for Latin-infused live music throughout the week, with locals saying that Thursday night is the standout. It also has street tacos, indoor and outdoor seating, and is both family- and pet-friendly.
From murals and museums to heritage and horchata, there’s so much to soak up on a visit to the colourful neighbourhoods of San Diego – and now you know where to start.
For more information and to start planning your own trip, visit sandiego.org.
Funded in part with City of San Diego Tourism Marketing District Assessment Funds.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.