Lovers of the arts are summoned to North Lake Tahoe’s scenic California shoreline this July for a world-class dance festival in the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Out-of-towners head to Lake Tahoe for winter skiing, summer lake fun and now dance. Lake Tahoe Dance Festival (27-30 July 2021) directors Constantine Baecher and Christin Hanna, who met in 1998 during the American Ballet Theatre summer program in New York, have quietly been turning Tahoe into a world-class destination for dance since 2013.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The festival celebrates classical, modern and contemporary dance, and offers graceful evenings of main-stage performances on a lakefront stage in North Lake Tahoe. Festival-goers can also participate in demonstrations, view art installations and listen to talks with the artists. Performers include dancers from Hanna’s own ballet school, Lake Tahoe Dance Collective; we’ll also see renowned dancers and choreographers such as the principal dancer of the New York City Ballet, Ashley Bouder, and the Broadway star of Billy Elliot the Musical, Stephen Hanna.
Expect to see works by exciting, young choreographers and reimagined classics from legendary ballet choreographers, such as George Balanchine, Lester Horton and Erick Hawkins. So what are you waiting for? It’s time to sashay over to Lake Tahoe, with our collection of oh-so elegant hotels – bookable on Culture Trip.
Christin Hanna performed with the Nevada Festival Ballet and had an active freelance dance career with Oakland Ballet, New York City Ballet and Cincinnati Ballet. “Residents and visitors alike enjoy the intimate performances, far closer than at a large opera house or theater in a big city, with a diverse program of dance styles and backgrounds on display,” she says. “The shared experience of live performance is always treasured at the festival.”
We may not all be prima ballerinas, but we can get out and move – and there are few places better to do it than alpine Lake Tahoe. The 3mi (4.8km) East Shore Trail winds along a section of Nevada lakefront that was once difficult to access. The wide walking and biking path connects Incline Village and scenic Sand Harbor State Park, ticking off lakeshore beaches and coves along the way.
Tahoe Via Ferrata is run by guiding service Alpenglow Expeditions, which helps adventurers summit some of the highest peaks in the world. Via ferratas (or iron roads) – popular in Italy and Austria – use steel cables, rungs and ladders to help you assail the slopes and provide more protection than typical rock climbing. The Tahoe edition includes multiple guided routes, such as the Loophole Route that climbs up granite towers, traverses a cable bridge and takes in views of the lake and mountains.
Next, get a dose of historic-house hopping on the other end of the lake. In addition to a beautiful green inlet, Emerald Bay State Park has the 38-room Vikingsholm mansion: a fine example of Scandinavian architecture. Just west, the Tallac Historic Site is where many monied Californians built their rustic yet luxurious summer estates in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In summer months, take a tour here to visit the Pop-Baldwin Estates: log-cabin style mansions, with beautifully landscaped grounds. Quite the encore, we’d say…
Keen to make a weekend of it? Browse our curated collection of hotels available over Lake Tahoe Dance Festival – bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.