These days, Fullerton is a diverse and large city; a buzzing college town with a youthful vibe that extends to its growing culinary scene. While numerous establishments continue to uphold decade-long food traditions in the community, a wealth of new cuisines continue to bring a new energy to the town. With Asian, French, British and Italian influences to choose from, visitors will never go hungry. Here are 10 restaurants that are considered to be Fullerton’s best. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Rutabegorz opened back in 1970 as a tiny hippie joint in Fullerton. The restaurant began serving just coffee and desserts but has since transformed itself into one of Orange County’s best places to eat, specializing in health food with a great choice of vegetarian and vegan dishes. There are other offerings, as well, catering to carnivores, including chicken, turkey, albacore tuna and a wide selection of deli meats. Wraps, sandwiches, soups and salads are also available, all utilizing the freshest ingredients to deliver the most eclectic fare to loyal diners in the community.
Rutabegorz Restaurant, 211 N Pomona Ave, Fullerton, CA, USA, +1 714 738 9339
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tom’s Jr Restaurant
Serving food since 1976, it’s a testament to Tom’s Jr Restaurant’s great food that it has remained a staple in the neighborhood. Over 35 years since the first independent restaurant opened, the quality of the delicious burgers offered here continues to impress. Alongside daily classic combos such as cheeseburgers, visitors can also opt for the more adventurous pastrami or avocado bacon burger. Additionally, Tom’s Jr also serves Mexican food and steaks, while breakfast and omelettes are served for those swinging by during the first part of the day.
Soco Sushi & Gastro Pub
Soco Sushi & Gastro Pub is a trendy dining experience that has been establishing itself as a foodie hot spot for years. Located in downtown Fullerton, sample the best of Asian fusion cuisine in an upbeat atmosphere, ensuring that your evening gets off to the right start. Looking at the menu, instant options that standout include the ‘salmon on fire,’ sashimi seared with ponzu and topped with mint and radish sprouts. Alternatively, the pork belly with cilantro cream sauce is a tantalizing option, as is the beer-battered fish. On Sundays, there is a adventurous brunch menu comprised of buttery bacon waffles, huevos rancheros and other egg-based offerings.
Soco Suhi & Gastro Pub, 136 W. Commonwealth Blvd. Fullerton, CA, USA, +1 714 519 3517
Since 2001, Roman Cucina has been providing the community with an authentic taste of Italy. The family-run restaurant is a prime example of Italian home cooking, with many of the recipes passed down from the family’s grandmother. Get your carb fill with the selection of pizzas and pastas in this welcoming environment, and you will realize why this joint has been repeatedly voted the Best Italian Restaurant in OC. For those who enjoy a good drink with their meal, come by for Martini Mondays and Wine Wednesdays.
Fuoco Pizzeria Napoletana
Fuoco Pizzeria Napoletana serves authentic Napoletana pizza, baked to perfection at nearly 1000 degrees in the wood-fired oven. The restaurant proudly follows traditions implemented over 200 years ago, which is why the menu here is as good as it comes thousands of miles away from Italy. Brought to the community by a family of pizzaioli, a third generation of trained pizza makers, the restaurant makes sure to source the very best ingredients, including Caputo flour and San Marzano tomatoes straight from the native lands in Napoli.
Kentro Greek Kitchen
Located in downtown Fullerton, Kentro Greek Kitchen is what Greek cuisine should be, an exemplary establishment of Aegean culinary traditions without the tacky Hellenic-styled fonts, opulent columns and idyllic murals of Santorini. Fashioned to a modern monochromatic design, the restaurant instead boasts a contemporary style that mirrors the egalitarian approach to its food. The menu is spelled out in Greek on a huge chalkboard and offers huge appetizers to share, a myriad of soups and salads, flat breads, pitas and staples such as moussaka and char-flecked souvlaki with wild rice. Wash it all down with a selection of wines and a choice of three authentic Greek beers.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.