Nowadays, you don’t have to break the bank for a vacation on the California coast. The Pacific paradise of Morro Bay is accessible no matter how thick or thin your wallet is. Also, there are no chances of finding run-down motels here – just cozy, comfortable, and cheap places to stay in Morro Bay that’ll keep your budget as sunny as the Golden State itself. Here’s our pick – bookable on Culture Trip.
The Pleasant Inn is one colorful motel that won’t cost you a lot of green. You’ll lay your head on a king bed in most rooms, with views of the bay in some. Even if you don’t spring for the rooms with a full kitchen, the microwave, refrigerator, and coffee service will get the job done. With the waterfront only a block away from this cheap Morro Bay hotel, you’ll spend most of your time hanging out by the harbor.
Turn the Harbor House Inn into your home away from home. This pet-friendly, cheap hotel in Morro Bay is right in the center of town, keeping you within view of Morro Rock. From the Morro Bay Dog Beach to the Morro Bay State Park, there are plenty of green spaces where you and your dog can explore while keeping your budget on a tight leash. If you feel tempted to splurge a little, treat the two of you to hand-carved roast beef at the dog-friendly patio of Hofbrau der Albatross.
There’s no nautical nonsense at the Morro Bay Sandpiper Inn, sitting in the quiet downtown area. These calm, comfortable rooms don’t have noisy neighbors, though you’re never more than a few blocks from the best views, restaurants, and shops in the city. Surround yourself with silence and serene views at the Morro Bay Golf Course or the Morro Bay State Park. At night when you return to this cheap hotel in Morro Bay, prepare to be lulled to sleep by the seals barking and the waves crashing on the shore.
Get to know this seaside city on the cheap with a stay at the Morro Crest Inn. This roomy hotel puts you within 1mi (1.6km) of the Morro Bay Maritime Museum, where you’ll spot a fleet of historical ships and maybe even spy a few playful otters in the harbor. Also, you won’t need to venture too far to get a taste of the city’s seafood scene – the Dutchman’s Seafood House is down the block, serving fish and chips, clam chowder, and the fresh catch of the day.
Snuggle into Fireside Inn without having to warm up your wallet. You can start your morning with a cup of piping-hot coffee from your in-room coffee maker, followed by a window-shopping stroll through the boutiques on Main Street. You can also save a few bucks by skipping the shopping spree and opting for a sightseeing hike from this cheap hotel through Morro Bay State Park. After your trek, Bayside Cafe has a basket of fish and chips waiting for you, with no extra charge for sunset views on the water.
Though not quite on the beach, the Pacific Shores Inn is a budget-friendly hotel in Morro Bay, complete with a great view of Morro Rock from its private sundeck. King and queen rooms have private bathrooms and enough space to stretch out – when you’re not stretching out on Morro Rock Beach 1m (1.6km) away, that is. With a dozen cafes, bars, and restaurants within a block, you may find yourself spending more time around Pacific Shores than the actual Pacific shores.
Set a course for the Blue Sail Inn, and never worry about cutting anchor. This seaside budget hotel is around the bend from the bay and offers views of the rock from most rooms. Take in the ocean panoramas on every short walk to the Suns-N-Buns Bakery & Espresso Bar. Not sure if you should spend the day staring at the rock from the beach or the park? You can chew it over with a stop at Carousel Taffy or Crills Salt Water Taffy.
No forgery around these parts; the Masterpiece Hotel will treat you to a fine stay for the price of a knockoff. Modern and classical art adorns the hallways, but the pièce de résistance is the indoor Roman spa surrounded by stunning tile murals. Feel free to take your time exploring this mini gallery, making sure you get your fill of complimentary wine in the lobby. For more wine and art, there are half a dozen galleries and twice as many bars within walking distance.
Looking for more Morro Bay stays? Here’s our pick of the best hotels in the area, and they’re all bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.