Staying by the crystal waters of Lake Tahoe in the Sierra Nevada Mountains is a delight no matter the season. The South Lake in California offers as much nature-filled tranquility year-round as it does entertainment on the main drag. We at Culture Trip have chosen some of our favorite hotels and resorts, from those providing rustic warmth and the peace of a private beach to simply a relaxing spot after a day on the lake or on the slopes.
Only seconds from the waters of South Lake Tahoe at the foot of the Sierra Nevada, this all-season residence is as attractive to beach bums as it is to ski fanatics. Relaxing in the all-season pool, jet skiing, kayaking or simply eating by the water’s edge of this family-friendly hotel are just some of the myriad good times to be had. The views from the rooms are unsurprisingly glorious.
This award-winning resort is one of the best luxury hotels in Lake Tahoe. It offers a great choice of rooms and suites that come with fireplaces, Keurig coffeemakers, plush slippers and robes, along with all the creature comforts one would expect to guarantee relaxation in an alpine setting. Waterfront rooms offer access directly onto the sand. As you step onto your patio in the morning, you will struggle to want to be anywhere else.
Proudly boasting its own private beach with BBQs, fire pits, a volleyball court and a hot tub, Tahoe Lakeshore Lodge and Spa is also home to some incredible live music in the summer months. The lodge offers condos and rooms of the highest quality for you to make your stay effortless, and stepping out onto the sand to enjoy the sunset away from the general public makes all the difference.
Two outdoor spas and a round heated pool on a long private beach make this hotel a secluded favorite in South Lake Tahoe. Whether you choose a studio, deluxe cabin or townhouse, your stay will be made memorable by the incredible views and great atmosphere at the poolside tiki bar in the evening after a day shredding the slopes or sunning at the beach.
Located on the Pioneer Trail, close to all the shopping and entertainment of Heavenly Village, this resort offers a heated pool and hot tub to enjoy year-round. Fully equipped kitchens, attentive staff and free bikes to use for all guests are definitely highlights of this great resort set in manicured grounds. The karaoke nights also add an edge to what would normally be a very relaxed experience on the South Lake.
The Station House Inn is a Tahoe institution that has welcomed guests since the early ’70s and continues to offer the tranquility of its unique appeal, on the edge of the lake waters, to this very day. The poolside menu is as modern as it is delicious, but a bevy of restaurants, if you prefer, are only a short walk away. For those searching for natural charm, this inn has it in spades.
With a range of cozy rooms that are only a few minutes’ walk to a private beach, 7 Seas Inn is as close as you need to all the amenities that South Lake Tahoe has to offer. Mornings begin with freshly baked bread and muffins, and their lovely patio allows guests to get together to acquaint themselves in the evenings, especially during happy hour around the fire. A friendly spot.
For that rustic cabin experience sheltered amidst the pine forest of Tahoe, Holly’s Place offers a cozy retreat that immediately feels a world away and yet is only a short walk to the lake. It is so dog-friendly that it would be almost redundant to stay here without one. There is a friendliness at this residence that extends to all guests, with the rec room being the focal point for evenings where people and their dogs get to know each other.
Fancy discovering more magnificent hotels in Lake Tahoe? Check out our guide to the best hotels in Lake Tahoe, California, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.