Listen up, mountain lovers, because we’re about to remind you that embracing the stoke – that adrenaline-fuelled endorphin rush that jolts us to life when we’re charging down powder-blanketed mountainsides with our buddies – gets a whole lot easier when you’ve got an Ikon Pass. This travellers’ essential won’t just provide easier access to North America’s best ski resorts, it will also save you hard-earned cash and supercharge your lust for high altitude fun.
Our favorite thing about the Pacific Northwest? The easily-accessible Crystal Mountain Resort, just 76mi (122km) from Seattle. With your trusty Ikon Pass you can carve up its 2,600 acres (1,058ha) of terrain, which you’ll find in the northeast corner of Mount Rainier National Park. It’s a fantastic resort for skiers and snowboarders of all abilities, although for some super-sized stoke, head to the Northway trail for great bowls, chutes and tree runs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are endless ways to supercharge the stoke in California. Head to Mammoth Mountain, where your Ikon Pass not only provides hassle-free access to 3,500 acres (1,416ha) of terrain, it has historically unlocked discounts at dozens of restaurants, too – when the mountain opens fully again, we recommend the Melt House and Boundary Bar for superb grilled cheese sandwiches. Other reasons Mammoth Mountain ranks as one of America’s best resorts? It has one of the longest ski seasons in the US – the slopes are often still crowded on 4 July – as well as brilliant snow cover, thanks partly to its status as California’s highest resort at 11,053ft (3,369m). Ikon Pass holders should also check out Squaw Valley, which hosted the 1960 Winter Games. Hop on the KT-22 ski lift, otherwise known as the Mothership, to tear up some of the resort’s toughest runs.
As an Ikon Pass holder, you can get your stoke on easily in Colorado, thanks to the accessibility of its resorts. During a normal year, when everything is up and running, you can hop on the Winter Park Express from Union Station in Denver, which will take you straight to Winter Park. Meanwhile the snow at Steamboat Ski Resort has its own special quality. Thought Japan was the home of champagne powder? Think again. Local skier Joe McElroy coined that phrase here in the ’50s, and now the expression is synonymous with Steamboat’s white stuff. Apparently, its fluffiness is down to a high water content, and Steamboat’s snow even has its own trademark. Another fantastic Colorado resort is Aspen Snowmass, which celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2021, making this spring the perfect time to visit. It comprises four mountains, each with its own distinct personality. The common denominator? Bucketloads of stoke.
For a stoke-fuelled ride on the wild side head to Big Sky, a beautiful resort near Yellowstone National Park known for its powder-blanketed steeps, spectacular scenery and wildlife. There’s never been a better time to visit, since the 200 rooms at the resort’s New Huntley Lodge have recently been refurbished, and winter 21/22 will see the unveiling of the Swift Current 6, which will be the fastest six-person chairlift in North America. The best bit? Ikon Pass holders have historically been able to save up to 25 percent on accommodation at Big Sky.
This spring, use your Ikon Pass to crank up the stoke in Snowbird, which has some seriously challenging terrain. Its countless Double Black Diamond runs attract the world’s best skiers and snowboarders. It’s a laid-back resort with just four hotels, of which our favorite is the Inn, where in normal circumstances, you can enjoy a post-session soak in the outdoor hot tub before toasting Snowbird’s steeps at the Lodge Bistro. Base yourself here and you’ll also have easy access to Alta, a neighbouring ski-only area that covers just 4sqmi (10sqkm) but has runs for all abilities, ranging from the beginner-friendly Crooked Mile to the more advanced Wildcat Area, with its ferocious descents and powder-filled bowls.
Killington, in Vermont, is a fantastic resort that offers a range of extra activities like spa days and tubing. With an Ikon Pass you almost always get huge discounts at its restaurants and bars, discounted lift tickets for friends, and free mountain bike rentals on certain days. This is a mountain lovers’ mecca – a large, high altitude resort known for the diversity of its terrain, which has hosted the Audi FIS Ski World Cup, Fox US Open of Mountain Biking, and Rails 2 Riches freestyle event.
Revelstoke is a stoke-inducing winter paradise where you’ll find the longest vertical drop of any ski resort in North America. The resort is quickly becoming one of Canada’s best, with the December 2020 opening of a new hotel, Basecamp Revelstoke, quickly followed by the revamp of its lift network – the Revelation Gondola, Stoke Chair and Ripper Chair recently had capacity upgrades, and the new Stellar Chair makes getting to the resort’s best green runs a breeze.
Tremblant is a brilliant example of the diversity of resorts covered by the Ikon Pass. This Canadian winter wonderland, just two hours’ drive from Montréal, has a huge range of runs and a picturesque town center filled with boutiques and bars. You’ll need to wrap up warm here, although a great way to get the blood flowing is with a high-speed descent of Versant Nord, reached via the Telecabine Express. After a day on the slopes, when everything is open as usual, you’ll be able to treat yourself to some traditional Quebecois cuisine at one of Tremblant’s many restaurants. La Savoie, with its fragrant raclettes and stone-grilled meats, is a great place to start.
Want your very own stoke-filled adventure and access to North America’s top ski resorts? Secure an Ikon Pass at ikonpass.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.