If a snow-fuelled adrenaline fix is top of your holiday priority list, read on. From the snowy peaks of Colorado to the rolling alpine meadows of sunny California, here is the ultimate triumvirate of amazing US ski resorts you should be booking this spring.
Wondering where to get your springtime stoke on this year? You’re in luck, because we’ve got a hat trick for anyone keen to max out their mountain time this spring: three brilliant US ski resorts that are easily accessible, perfectly positioned for springtime powder and known for an abundance of the white stuff, not just in early winter but throughout spring and often well into early summer. The best bit? The Ikon Pass can be used to access them all. In other words, Ikon Pass owners will have more time on the mountain and more money to spend on new kit, thanks to the Ikon Pass’s jaw-dropping range of benefits, which includes everything from discounts at restaurants and stores to early access to the slopes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Winter Park has more than 3,000 skiable acres with terrains for everyone. Starting early May, spring skiing can be found at the Mary Jane Territory, where pass-holders can lap the sun-softened moguls and look for the hidden powder stashed in the trees that this side of the resort is famous for. Check out the new Bradley’s Bash, right next to the Challenger lift, and fuel up on gourmet french fries before catching another lap, or hopping on a snowcat or ski-bike to explore the snowy Colorado peaks.
When the sun sets, celebrate a stoke-filled day at one of the fantastic bars in the resort. If you’re making your way to the Winter Park side, we recommend a craft beer at Rippy’s Mountain Tavern, which opened in 2019, or in town at One More Lounge, which opened in December 2020 and has a rock’n’roll vibe. Another reason Winter Park is such a great option for those hoping to cram as much mountain time into their winters? In recent years, fantastic snowfall has seen the resort ski season extended, and in March 2021 it was announced the ski lifts will stay open until 9 May.
Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows
A legendary resort that’s attracted die-hard stoke chasers for decades, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is a brilliant destination to check out this spring. After all, this beautiful spot earned a reputation as the capital of springtime skiing for a reason – frequent powder dumps topped off with plenty of California sun. For the ultimate springtime stoke session, rise early and take the Red Dog chairlift, before turning left to fly down Lake View – home to vistas over Lake Tahoe. The Sherwood area of the resort is a great option for a springtime stoke fix, too. Known for powder-filled bowls and selfie-friendly viewpoints, it’s an area that recently became much more accessible, thanks to the opening of the Treeline Cirque lift – an $11m detachable, high-speed quad chair.
There are plenty of exciting developments in the pipeline, too. This summer, construction will start on a base-to-base gondola connecting the Squaw Valley and Alpine Meadows base stations. Getting between the two currently involves a 7mi (11km) drive, but the new lift, which will have eight passenger cabins and the capacity to move 1,400 people per hour, will mean stoke chasers can fly between the two base stations in just 16 minutes. As for that all-important après? Toast springtime in California at Rocker@Squaw. Sitting at the base of the best Squaw Valley runs, this lively sports bar has an enormous outdoor terrace and an excellent range of regional beers.
There’s no shortage of stoke on Mammoth Mountain, where you’ll find 3,500 acres (1,416ha) of skiable terrain and the highest chairlift-serviced peak in California. The legendary snowfall here makes it one of the top ski resorts in the state – a powder-blanketed paradise where the ski seasons often last well into July. A top tip? Download the Ikon Pass app as soon you’ve got your hands on the pass, which provides easy access to weather reports and resort info, and will help you keep track of how much time you’ve spent on the hill, whether it’s at your favorite resort or any of the more than 40 other destinations on the Ikon Pass. But back to Mammoth. Although there are plenty of developments to get excited about in spring 2022 (including the unveiling of the Mammoth Lakes Community Recreation Center, which will have an Olympic-sized ice rink), there’s no time like the present to soak up the stoke here. A huge network of cross-country and snowshoe trails makes it ideal for springtime stokers hoping to make up for missed mountain time.
In summary? Mammoth is a brilliant resort to visit this spring. Its status as the highest resort in California – 11,053ft (3,369m) above sea level – makes it a snow-sure paradise for springtime powder hounds. In other lower resorts, depleted snow coverage means less room to play. Not so at Mammoth, which has 100 acres (40ha) of well-maintained snow park terrain. The 11 snow parks have 126 rails, boxes and jibs, 95 jumps and three halfpipes ranging from 12ft to 18ft, plus the 22ft, Olympic-sized Super Pipe. In other words, stoke-chasers who find their favorite runs are looking a little tracked out in the springtime sun can simply bide their time until the next snowfall at one of the Mammoth snow parks instead.
Want your very own stoke-filled adventure and access to the top ski resorts in North America? Unlock the lowest prices and biggest savings before May 5 at ikonpass.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.