“Women shouldn’t be required to look pretty,” says BUST ‘s Editor-In-Chief and Publisher, Debbie Stoller. She and I are surrounded by jewellery, a lash bar, DIY manicure table, and curated vintage collections. A DJ spins music and I’m flanked by a vendor selling nasty woman sashes and another offering handmade pasties. It’s the BUST Craftacular at the Brooklyn Expo in Greenpoint, and ladies are getting primped. Ladies are feeling themselves. But for a woman, paying attention to looks can be tricky terrain.
“We live in a culture that requires too much of this from women, like they need to look a certain way or they make you feel uncomfortable. All this,” Stoller says, pointing to women getting their hair braided, their nails done, and their lashes on fleek, “is about fun. This is about self-display. If getting primped makes you feel good, awesome. If it’s not your thing, that’s OK too.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stoller, the co-founder of BUST, which hit newsstands in 1993, back when Third Wave Feminism was all the rage, explains that a woman need not feel anxiety around how she looks. “Back in the day, we got low self-esteem from looking at fashion magazines,” says Stoller, whose comments speak to the launch of BUST 25 years ago.
Today, I’d argue people’s social feed, with the myriad filters and beauty apps that your friends, coworkers, and acquaintances use to present images of themselves to the world, can be cause for anxiety about your looks. Why? When you see a flawless picture of your friend, coworker, or acquaintance, it’s tempting to belittle your own looks in comparison, even though you use the same filters and apps to look better. But what does better mean, anyway? It’s all so subjective, isn’t it?
“Where in American culture are we ever told that it is better to be true than to be beautiful?” Elana Premack Sandler, a licensed clinical social worker, asks in Psychology Today in an essay on the power of truth, beauty, and social media. Where, indeed. The solution is that you must remind yourself that looking attractive is not a requisite to your femininity.
Enjoy the performance of feminine beauty
The trick to finding pleasure in primping, and about investing in your looks is to ditch the anxiety and encourage feelings of empowerment, says Amy Schiappa, owner of Fringe Salon who came to the the BUST Craftacular, scissors in hand. “Beauty is empowering,” she explains. “You’re taking your appearance into your own hands.”
As Schiappa cuts my fringe, she tells me that the night of the election she was “emotionally cutting my bangs.” After that experience, her salon ran a promotion called “Protest Bangs” where the proceeds went to Planned Parenthood. There was a line of women around the block.
“There’s a whole history of feminine self-display,” says Stoller. Self-display, or bodily adornment, need not be political to be feminist, like, say, Fringe’s “Protest Bangs.” After all, millennial feminists have learned from their Second Wave sisters that the personal is political. Getting primped is an act of self-care.
“Manicures are an inexpensive way to adorn yourself,” explains Adrienne Blanks, creator of D.I.D. Nail Paint and another BUST Craftacular vendor. “You’re taking time out for you, and the results are immediate. Plus, you end up looking polished.”
Steer your judgements of other women away from looks
Just because you realize sexism exists, doesn’t mean you’re immune to experiencing it. But there are internal shifts you can make to mediate sexism, especially when it comes to getting primped. Firstly, you can think about how you approach other women. Do you judge women by their looks? Would you judge a man in this same way?
Stoller says, “Clear your judgements about looksism and ageism when it comes to how you see other women.” There’s no reason — except for sexism — Stoller says, “that women are held more responsible than men for how they present themselves to the world. The assumed view is that women [have to look a certain way] to please men.”
You can break the cycle by primping for pleasure in low-anxiety situations, where you throw your judgements out the window. And while you’re at it, relish in taking time to do things that make you feel good. “You deserve an award,” says the creator of Nasty Ribbons, Nicole Teeny, who is also a documentary filmmaker. Her sashes are a hit at protest marches.
Veteran burlesque performer Delilah, who has traveled the globe says she was “so excited when BUST included me [and her line of pasties and feathered thongs — luxe but minimal burlesque costumes]. I grew up reading BUST as a feminist, but some design fairs can be anti-burlesque.”
Creating spaces like the BUST Craftacular where all women can celebrate the rituals of primping and preening, can find their own pretty, and feel safe while doing so is a step in the direction of neutralizing sexism in a world where beauty is considered trivial and oh-so important at the same time. Little internal shifts can help you stay rooted in the experience of self-care and self-presentation while you fly your feminist flag.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.