Architecture & Design Film Festival (ADFF) announced their new event line-up for summer/fall 2017 today, which includes screenings in New York City, Seoul, and Montana.
ADFF, America’s “largest film festival devoted to the creative spirit of architecture and design,” has a series of new screenings and events beginning at the end of this month. The events will start in Seoul, South Korea on July 27, continue on to various locations in the United States, and finally return to New York City in November for the annual anchor festival.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This year’s ADFF screenings include Integral Man, a film on James Stewart’s award-winning house in Toronto, a special screening of Designing Life: The Modernist Legacy of Albert C. Ledner, and the world premiere of AIA’s ‘I Look Up Film Challenge’ winner, among others. The line-up also features experimental art spaces, panel discussions, and a Short Film Walk.
Architecture & Design Film Festival (ADFF)’s Summer and Fall Events
JULY 27 – OCTOBER 29, ADFF: Seoul @ Storage; Seoul, South Korea
ADFF will screen three films per day over a four-month period, as well as feature new experimental art space, presented by Storage, that cover architecture, design, film, and contemporary art.
AUGUST 24 – 27, ADFF: NOLA; New Orleans, Louisiana
From ADFF: “Presented by the Louisiana Architectural Foundation (LAF), the opening night of the second annual ADFF: NOLA (August 24) will be held at the Contemporary Arts Center followed by a special screening of Designing Life: The Modernist Legacy of Albert C. Ledner at the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA) on Friday, August 25. All other screenings will be held at the Broad Theater.”
SEPTEMBER 23 – 24, ADFF: Tippet Rise; Fishtail, Montana
ADFF will “present a curated selection of nine feature-length documentaries and three film shorts at the Tippet Rise Art Center – the 10,260-acre sculpture park and classical music center in the Montana highlands. On Saturday, September 23, Frances Anderton, host of KCRW’s DnA, will moderate a conversation with artist Stephen Talasnik, architect Débora Mesa and Tippet Rise co-founder Peter Halstead.”
SEPTEMBER 26 – 27, Ace Hotel Screenings; Chicago, Illinois
ADFF: “During the Chicago Biennial, ADFF will host two rooftop screenings at the Ace Hotel. On September 26, the winner of AIA’s ‘I Look Up Film Challenge’ — an initiative that encourages architects and filmmakers to collaborate and produce short films — will make its world premiere in addition to a screening of Design that Heals with Mass Design Principal Alan Ricks.”
OCTOBER 11, ADFF: Short Films Walk; New York, NY
The events come back to New York City! “ADFF and SoHo Design District present the 4th Annual Short Films Walk (SFW), where participating SoHo showrooms will screen a unique program of film shorts curated by ADFF. This year’s walk will be held from 5:00 – 9:00 pm with an expanded list of locations,” says the press release.
NOVEMBER 1-5, ADFF: New York; New York, NY
“ADFF’s annual anchor festival in New York will present a series of feature length and short films, panel discussions, filmmaker Q&As and more at Cinépolis Chelsea (260 West 23rd Street, NYC). Film highlights include Columbus, Building Home: The Maggie’s Centres, Glenn Murcutt: Spirit of Place, Integral Man, and Land Artists: The Story of Denton Corker Marshall.”
You can visit ADFF here for the full line-up of events.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.