Every March 17, millions of people around the world gather to celebrate St Patrick’s Day. The joyous festivities sometimes extend to painting the town green and indulging in a few libations in honor of true Irish heritage but can take different forms in parts of the US. Here’s a guide to our favorite destinations for the ultimate Stateside party and ultimate St Patrick’s Day celebration.
Watch the world’s largest parade in New York City, New York
Since 1762, New York City has put its greenest face forward for St Patrick’s Day. The city’s annual holiday parade is the world’s largest – with 150,000 people participating and around two million bystanders lining the route along Fifth Avenue. Volunteers run the parade, which features bagpipers, Irish step dancers, police officers and firefighters, school bands and more. After the parade finishes, the party continues in one of the many Irish pubs in the city that never sleeps.
Must visit Irish pub: McSorley’s Old Ale House is the oldest Irish pub in the city and famously home to two types of beer: light and dark house ale.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Cruise the emerald green river in Chicago, Illinois
Irish connections with Chicago run deep and the city’s St Patrick’s Day celebrations are not just about the party itself, but celebrating Chicago’s heritage and history. Since 1962, the dyeing of the Chicago River has become one of the city’s most treasured traditions and travelers can experience the emerald green waters from a river cruise – the best seat in the house. After a morning on the water, visitors can attend the St Patrick’s Day parade that typically evolves into lively street parties in the areas surrounding Grant Park and Division Street.
Must visit Irish pub: Galway Arms boasts traditional Celtic cuisine, Irish hospitality and the best draft beer list in Lincoln Square.
Dance the Irish jig in Savannah, Georgia
Since 1824, the Southern coastal city of Savannah has paid homage to St Patrick with weeks of festivities culminating in a parade on March 17. As the home to a number of Irish neighborhoods, Savannah boasts the largest annual celebration in the South, with hundreds of thousands of people converging in the town’s grassy squares, as the city’s Forsyth Park fountain flows green. After the parade, the party continues into the early hours of the morning in Savannah’s many Irish pubs where travelers can dance the night away – a true Irish tradition.
Must visit Irish pub: O’Connell’s Irish Pub is an authentic Irish pub in the heart of historic Savannah offering a relaxed atmosphere and the best pour of Guinness in the city.
Listen to live music in San Francisco, California
Each year, more than 100,000 people attend the San Francisco St Patrick’s Day Festival and Parade. Taking place the weekend before the holiday, the two-hour parade begins at 2nd and Market Street and travels down to the Civic Centre Plaza where the annual festival takes place. During the festival, travelers can expect live music, traditional Irish grub and an ample supply of beer – and the option to carry on the celebrations by joining the St Patrick’s Day PubCrawl along Union Street to end the night, Irish style.
Must visit Irish pub: The Irish Bank is known as the soul of Ireland in the heart of downtown San Francisco and hosts an annual St Patrick’s Day block party, featuring traditional Irish music and Celtic rock.
Celebrate Irish ancestry in Boston, Massachusetts
Boston’s Irish heritage and pride run deep with nearly a quarter of all Boston residents claiming Irish ancestry. Holiday celebrations often begin weeks before the official holiday and include Irish band concerts, an Irish film festival and celebrations at Irish bars and local breweries. The annual St Patrick’s Day parade takes place in South Boston with up to one million people lining the route to watch floats, marching bands and bagpipe bands from both Ireland and the United States.
Must visit Irish pub: Black Rose, where Irish flags adorn the walls and travelers are likely to stumble onto a rowdy sing-a-long with live music.
Attend a legendary block party in New Orleans, Louisiana
New Orleans comes to life with a week-and-a-half of festivities and fun including three parades and two legendary block parties. One of the best places to be for St Patrick’s Day is Parasol’s Bar in the Irish Channel, a neighborhood originally named for its heavy concentration of Irish families. Located near the Garden District and just 10 minutes from the French Quarter and Downtown New Orleans, travelers can expect non-stop singing and dancing and an endless supply of green beer.
Must visit Irish pub: Erin Rose is located in the French Quarter and specializes in cocktails, traditional Irish grub and memorabilia galore.
Witness the River Walk transform into River Shannon in San Antonio, Texas
Organized by the Visit San Antonio River Walk and the Harp and Shamrock Society of Texas, the St Patrick’s Day River Parade has been running since 1969 and features a procession of 12 larger-than-life Irish-themed decorated floats, with musicians, dancers and entertainers on board to rally the crowd. Kicking off the festival is the dyeing of the River Walk when the San Antonio River is transformed into the River Shannon by 25-gallons of eco-friendly green dye.
Must visit Irish pub: Durty Nelly’s Irish Pub for traditional grub, import drafts, piano entertainment and plenty of opportunities for sing-alongs in the festive atmosphere.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.