Having sex on a plane might seem like something that only happens in movies, but it turns out that a lot of people are keen to join the mile high club.
Between the germy surfaces, cramped quarters and desert-like air drying everything out, we’re not quite sure why anybody would be keen to consummate in mid-air rather than waiting until their destination, but there you go. If you’re travelling to a cool, faraway destination, we might advise that you wait until you get there and have a nap instead.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Would you ever considering joining this exclusive ‘club’? A reddit thread of airline passengers and flight attendants have spilled their secrets of what it’s like.
A flight attendant wrote: ‘As long as you aren’t doing it in public, you’re being quiet about it, and you haven’t been acting suspicious the entire flight, if you want to go have sex in the lav, then have at it.
‘It’s certainly not high on the list of places I’d want to have sex, especially given that the lav is cramped, smelly, and the liquid on the floor isn’t water… but to each their own.’
A couple on the way to their honeymoon might seem like an obvious choice for those who might try to consummate their new marriage on a plane. One newlywed spoke about their experience, which to be honest sounds like the ideal situation (if you’re into that): ‘We were on the way to our honeymoon. It was a late night flight on a small plane out of a regional airport so the plane was only supposed to carry four people, and the others cancelled. My wife was wearing her veil so it was pretty obvious we were on a honeymoon.
‘We both ordered drinks and when the flight attendant brought them back she also brought a few extra blankets… she handed us the drinks and blankets and headed to her seat.
‘They turned off all the cabin lights (the flight attendant left her reading light on)…we had sex, on a plane, and not crammed into a bathroom. Best flight ever.’
The toilet seems to be the location of choice for amorous couples. One man described how his girlfriend positioned herself on the baby changing table that folded down over the toilet.
‘She put her feet against the wall and fun ensued,’ he wrote. ‘The height of the fold down table was perfect.’
Just remember that your fellow passengers aren’t stupid, interior plane walls are thin and even if you think you’re being sneaky, you’re really not. Maybe find another way to entertain yourself?
One commenter said: ‘On a flight to Switzerland a couple of years ago, there was a couple who “mile-high clubbed” a couple of times over the course of the flight.
‘The final time was right before breakfast was being served, and the flight attendant had everyone on the plane give them a round of applause for being the most consistent passengers she had ever seen.’
Each to their own.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.