From precariously balanced boulders to rows upon rows of laser cut metal human figures, outdoor artwork in the USA is as provocative and striking as any masterpiece in a fine art museum. For fans of art and nature alike, the following examples of outdoor artworks will undoubtedly change the way you think about your environment and what we consider to be ‘art’.
‘Blue Tree’ by Claude Cormier | Cornerstone Place
Canadian landscape artist Claude Cormier’s ‘Blue Tree’ installation was unfortunately removed in 2007 for safety reasons. However, its legacy lives on in its story. In 2004, this tree was infected with a disease and was due to be felled. Cormier gallantly stepped in and in lieu of instant death, gave the tree a three year sending off that involved a cherry picker and 75,000 blue Christmas ornaments. Wildly fantastical and reminiscent of a world fit only for Dr. Seuss, Cormier’s ‘Blue Tree’ will forever live on in photographs and the memories of those lucky enough to have seen it up close.
Cornerstone Sonoma, 23570 Arnold Dr., Sonoma, CA, USA, +1 707933 3010
‘Lullaby Garden’ by Andy Cao and Xavier Perror | Cornerstone Place
Cornerstone Gardens is renowned for showcasing cutting edge landscape design. Who better to exhibit therefore, than Andy Cao and Xavier Perror, a French-American duo who have been blurring the lines between art and landscape for years. Cao and Perror’s understanding of the way that the eye perceives a given environment enables aesthetical manipulations at once both delicate and dramatic. Inspiration is drawn from disparate and international sources. ‘Lullaby Garden’ was inspired by the 19th century Japanese artist, Hokusai. Hokusai is best known for his series of woodblock prints, Thirty-six views of Mount Fuji (c. 1831) and in the Lullaby Garden one can spot undulating of form and tranquillity of spirit.
Cornerstone Sonoma, 23570 Arnold Dr., CA, USA, +1 707933 3010
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
‘Red Army’ by Ray Smith | Sculpture Garden at Kentuck Knob
Rows and rows of people, arms outstretched, all in red – this is what you see when you arrive at Kentuck Knob’s Sculpture Garden and approach Ray Smith’s ‘Red Army’. Weaving in and out of these two dimensional laser-cut metal figures, it is easy to get carried away and begin attributing names and stories to them. The historical references in this work are numerous but not explicit, leaving the viewer to take from it what they want.
Kentuck Knob, 723 Kentuck Road, Dunbar, PA, USA, +1 724329 1901
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.