With everything the West Coast has to offer, there’s countless road trips that are so remarkable that, no matter which route you choose, it’ll feel like a you’re in a dream. From the northern tip of Washington State all the way to the most southern region of California, the West Coast has some of the most iconic road trips you can imagine. Here’s some inspiration for you to discover on your next road trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Pacific Coast Highway
Probably one of the most popular road trip routes in California is the Pacific Coast Highway. There’s good reason for the PCH to be a road trip favorite. As you follow Highway 1, you’ll experience the California coastline in all its spectacular glory. Follow the route from southern California all the way past San Francisco to Leggett, California. On top of some of the most gorgeous coastal views, the PCH has stops and attractions that will make this already incredible journey even more memorable. Stop to tour the spooky Queen Mary, stretch your legs by hiking through Fiscalini Ranch in Cambria, and explore the infamous Cannery Row in Monterey.
Distance: 655 miles
Bend, Oregon to San Francisco, California
This trip isn’t an incredibly long one, just about eight hours if you don’t stop. But it’s perfect for road-trippers who want to see some remarkable greenery. Bend is a nature anomaly, as it’s part of Oregon’s high desert but also has roaring rivers rushing through it, as it’s situated between forests and lands of volcanic sediment. As you travel south through California, you’ll be greeted by oceanic outlooks and even more woodland through Redwood National Park. Making your way through the Bay Area, enjoy a touch of urban culture as you head into San Francisco. There’s so many outdoor activities to do through this trip, you’ll want to savor every moment.
Distance: 492 miles
The Columbia River Gorge
Expert road-trippers will love diving into this long haul. The Columbia River Gorge was part of one of the last stretches in the Lewis and Clark expedition. Strap in and get ready to see little gems of nature through the Gorge, which spans over both Washington and Oregon. Stop at one of the best little beer towns in America, Hood River, Oregon, for some great brews and a spot of relaxing. For the really adventurous, there are opportunities for rock-climbing and other daring endeavours. As mentioned, if you really want the ultimate road trip, follow the route all the way to San Diego, California, to experience the West Coast end to end. You won’t regret it.
Distance: 1,100 miles
Mount Hood Scenic Byway
If you don’t want to leave do a multi-state trip, consider the Mount Hood Scenic Byway. Immerse yourself in nature and the great Oregon wilderness, and you’ll even hit part of Oregon’s side of the Columbia River Gorge mentioned above. Along the way, you’ll pass beautiful falls and rock formations, even the Mt. Hood Skibowl Adventure Park, where visitors can ride zip lines, take treetop rope courses, play mini golf and slide the sky chair rides.
Distance: 105 miles
Portland, Oregon to Olympic National Park, Washington
Drive through the city of Portland, Oregon for just a couple hours to reach this romantically rugged wonderland. This national park will take you from alpine-like mountains, to a rainforest, to the Pacific coast. The Olympic National Park consists of nearly one million square miles, although most of that is roadless land. Once you park the car for some exploring, there’s plenty of fishing, hiking, mountain-climbing, and wildlife observation to do. If you want to shelter from the elements during your road trip, Olympic has a historic lodge for you to relax in, as well as cabins and campsites.
Distance: 162 miles
The Oregon Coast Goonies Tour
Film-lovers will relish this Goonies road trip tour along the Oregon coast. This particular route follows the stretch between Cannon Beach and Astoria, a nod to the beloved 1980s adventure movie starring a group of ragtag kids on a treasure hunt. You’ll get to see sites from the movie, such as the Goonies house, the Flavel House Museum, and the “Goondocks”. The trip’s sights unrelated to the movie are comprised of beautiful rocky cliffs, whale sightings, cheese factories, and fisheries to visit as you tour the Oregon coast. Or, as movie fans will call it, Goonies country.
Distance: 50 miles, depending on how many sites chosen to tour.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.