Want to experience the great outdoors but don’t fancy the hard ground and unwashed hair? These are the most luxurious glamping sites across the USA – bookable on Culture Trip.
Whether you’re in Maine or Yellowstone, Florida or Utah, the USA is blessed with natural beauty that’s perfect for camping trips. While sleeping in the great outdoors once meant a mouldy tent and a roll mat, times have changed. The modern traveler seeks creature comforts such as mattresses, crisp linen, charging points and hot tubs. To aid you in your quest for glamping nirvana, we’ve rounded up the best sites in the US.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The couple who own Bug Hill Farm met while collecting basil. Two years later, he proposed, and the two now run this small berry farm and campsite. From mid-July to late October you can pick your own raspberries, blueberries, redcurrants and apples on their farm, before retreating to the secluded campsite overlooking a pond.
The USP of Fireside is its contemporary, sustainably built huts reminiscent of a modern Scandinavian sauna. Inside, you can expect Tempur-Pedic mattresses, flat-screen TVs and fitted kitchens, handy if you don’t fancy cooking cowboy-style on the outdoor firepit. Outside your door, nearby Yellowstone provides a lifetime’s worth of attractions, with white-water rafting and biking and hiking trails galore.
Under Canvas has both style and substance and is situated just 7mi (11km) from the entrance to Glacier National Park, Montana. Visitors will be treated to safari-style tents that are cleaned every day by an on-site housekeeping team bearing fluffy towels and organic bathroom products. There are picnic areas and the obligatory outdoor grills, plus a complimentary events programme including yoga classes, crafts, acoustic music and outdoor games. Technology refusers rejoice – their grounds are free of wifi, so you can treat yourself to the ultimate digital detox.
Set among the forest alongside El Capitan Creek, this place offers the choice of cedar cabins, safari tents or yurts. Hit the on-site Canyon Market for all your culinary needs – they serve up hearty breakfasts using fresh, regional ingredients. Need a morning caffeine fix before heading out for a hike? They’ll brew you a perfect cappuccino, too. Water babies will enjoy the heated swimming pool, and bicycles are free for all guests to use.
Set deep in the San Juan Mountains range of the Colorado Rockies, Dunton Hot Springs styles itself as an 1800s ghost town. Fortunately, it’s all geared up for the 21st-century glamper, too, with wood-burning stoves, comfy beds and hot showers. Honorable mention goes to the five on-site natural springs that will ease away the aches and pains of a long cycle or hike across the trails.
Reconnect with the Navajo Nation at the Shash Dine EcoRetreat, 12mi (19km) south of Page, Arizona. The site has unsullied views of the Vermilion Cliffs, Lake Powell and the Echo Peaks, while Navajo-Churro sheep, goats, horses, cows and friendly working dogs populate the working ranch. Hike into the deep Antelope Canyons, or hire paddleboards and kayaks on Lake Powell. Accommodation is in bell tents or shepherd’s wagons with comfy bedding and candle lanterns, for an authentic desert experience.
If views were currency, Rustic Rook would be the richest resort in town. Open your glamping tent each morning and gaze up at the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. Tuck into a breakfast burrito with a freshly brewed and locally roasted craft coffee. For a unique experience, hire a sled and go skidding across the nearby sand dunes. Once the sun has gone down, head to the campfire and treat yourself to complimentary s’mores.
Whether you’re a beach baby or a mountain lover, Oso Blu has something for everyone. Catch some rays on the edge of Bear Lake or go horse riding, mountain climbing or hiking in the trails of Garden City Park, a 20-minute walk away. Just 3.7mi (6km) up the road is Bear Lake West Golf Course, and if you want to add some gentle culture to your trip, the diminutive Pickleville Playhouse is 2.5mi (4km) away and shows family-friendly productions.
Hunker down in a bell tent on the edge of your own private Utah canyon. Go buggy riding across dunes, walk the 7.5mi (12km) water canyon trail or take a horseback trail ride. All tents have their own outdoor hang-out area with picnic table, chairs and grill – after a busy day on the land, you’ll sink like a stone into your queen-size bed.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.