As ultrarunning continues to grow in numbers and evolve in the challenges being completed, we celebrate some of the most interesting individuals in the ultrarunning community at the moment.
Not far off ‘living legend’ status, Jurek may not be obliterating records the same way he used to, but he still continues to educate on top of competing through his writing, public speaking or consultations. His Appalachian Trail speed record set in 2015, where he averaged nearly 50 miles per day over 46 days, still beggars belief.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Falbo already has a marathon in every US state, as well as the Grand Slam of ultrarunning on her CV, but last year saw Falbo become a member of Team USA on the 100k Team. At the 100k World Championship, Falbo was part of the USA team that won a bronze medal last fall, despite the three-person team’s average age being 47.5. To date, Falbo, 45, has completed 104 marathons and 34 ultras.
For more than three decades, Frank Giannino Jr’s world record for running across America stood firm, but last October, Kostelnick obliterated it, beating it by four days. The Iowa native completed the gruelling challenge – starting at San Francisco City Hall and ending at New York City City Hall – in 42 days, six hours, and 30 minutes. After finishing, the current Badwater title holder said he all he needed was ‘a beer and my wife.’
The the 2016 Ultra Trail World Tour Champion finished in the top three of some of the most competitive ultra trail races going, including Ultra-Trail du Mont-Blanc, Lavaredo Ultra Trail, Hong Kong 100, and Transgrancanaria. The Lithuanian started running initially to help with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder he developed during his time serving in Iraq for the Lithuanian army, and has been hooked on running ever since, despite overcoming the disorder.
While the ultrarunning legend has a whole array of titles and record to his name, Karnazes added Silk Road to his list of accomplishments. The Californian completed the 12-day, 326-mile run along the iconic route – part of an ancient trade route through Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan – last summer. The idea for the run was suggested to him by a man who worked for the State Department and was based in Kyrgyzstan, who told him about it while they were in the middle of completing the San Francisco marathon.
Born and raised in Washington, Moehl has just overseen the 25th anniversary of the Chuckanut 50k, the lollipop course that covers the stunning Pacific Northwest terrain across the Chuckanut Mountain Ridge in Bellingham, Washington, USA. Having taken over organising the race 15 years ago simply because she didn’t want it to disappear, she has transformed it into an integral part of the local community and calendar.
The two-time winner of the Leadville 100 and the 50-Mile Trail National Championships is more than just a runner. With ever greater frequency the Nebraska man has turned to climbing, cycling, and skiing, and continues to connect the ultra community with the wider world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.