Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Tight end ( football)
The tight end is a position in football (think: Rob Gronkowski). They are a hybrid between an offensive lineman and wide receiver. Tight ends usually line up on the offensive line in order to block, out wide as another receiver or in the slot (see below).
A hooker is a position in rugby. The hooker is one of the team’s forwards, who, plays in the middle of the front row. The name derives from the position’s role of “hooking” or raking the ball backwards to gain possession during the scrum.
Facial ( basketball)
There’s nothing that gets fans on their feet more (and go viral on social media) than dunking directly over a defender. These thunderous dunks result in much celebration on the offensive player’s part and a few humiliated looks from the defender, who usually ends up on his backside.
Stroke off (field hockey)
The ultimate decider in field hockey. If the score remains tied at full time, two sudden-death overtime periods and two shoot-outs, a stroke off is needed.
In the slot ( football)
This is a football expression to describe an offensive formation when a player — typically a receiver or tight end — lines up between the last offensive lineman on either side and the wide receiver on that side. Slot receivers are typically smaller receivers who utilize their agility and speed to gain separation from defenders.
Sticky wicket ( cricket)
Go all the way ( football)
This expression is utilized by football commentators when an offensive player is en route to scoring a touchdown. Basically: he could go all the way (to the end zone). Simple, yet sounds dirty.
Backdoor slider (baseball)
This pitch in baseball is used to deceive the hitter. A backdoor slider initially appears to be off the plate (and thus a ball), yet it cuts laterally over the back part of the plate for a strike.
Clean and jerk (weightlifting)
This is a two-part move in weightlifting usually involving a barbell. The barbell starts on the floor with the lifter having to bring it up to his/her chest (clean) before raising it above his/her head finishing with straight arms and legs (jerk).
Five hole (ice hockey)
Similar to a nutmeg in soccer. This is when an offensive player shoots the puck between the goalie’s legs (five hole) and into the back of the net.
Penetrate the offense/defense ( football)
A means by which an offensive or defensive player can overcome the opponent’s scheme or play in order to succeed, whether it results in a quarterback sack or touchdown, for example.
Butt-ending (ice hockey)
This is a penalty in ice hockey. Butt-ending is the action where one player uses the shaft of his stick (above the upper hand) to check an opposing player or jab at another player. It results in a major penalty, game misconduct penalty and automatic $100 in the NHL.
Pole position (auto racing)
This is when a driver has qualified with the No. 1 starting position in a given race. Used in sayings such has “has the pole” or “in pole position”, this inside position on the front row is earned with the fastest qualifying time.
Rim shot ( basketball)
A shot in basketball that clangs off the basket’s rim that may or may not proceed to fall through the net.
In the rough (golf)
When the ball misses the fairway and ends up in the higher, thicker grass that surrounds it.
Muffed punt ( football)
A muffed punt is when the receiving team’s player accidentally touches the ball in an attempt to catch it. Think of it as a botched catch. Muffed punts usually involve an ensuing scramble by both teams in order to gain possession.
Come inside (baseball)
Pitchers come inside on hitters when they get too close to the plate. A pitcher is defensive over “his plate”, so he may throw a pitch close to the hitter in order to back him off the plate and expand the strike zone to work with.
Needs a blow (various)
Another way commentators refer to a player needing a breather or rest from the game’s action.
Double team (various)
The act of two defenders guarding an offensive player in an effort to force a mistake or prevent a big play. Double and triple teams are usually reserved for star players. The downside of this move is leaving another offensive player available and unmarked for a time being.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.