There are lots of National Parks in California, all offering pieces of nature that are absolutely treasured. The wonders found in these parks are something that everyone should experience at least once, so if you happen to be visiting the Golden State make sure to explore these fantastic national parks.
Channel Islands National Park
Channel Islands National Park is actually of the least visited national parks in the U.S. Not because it’s uninteresting, but because it’s one of the more challenging ones to reach. In order to witness the beauty of this national park, you’ll have to take a boat or plane from either Ventura or Santa Barbara. Once you do reach it, however, it’s absolutely worth it. The national park consists of five, that’s right, five islands; Anacapa Island, Santa Cruz Island, Santa Rosa Island, San Miguel Island, and Santa Barbara Island. There’s plenty of walking and hiking opportunities through the park, as well as hundreds of species of plant and wildlife to be seen, many of which are exclusively native to the Channel Islands.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Lassen Volcanic National Park
This park surrounds a dormant volcanic dome that last erupted back in the early 1900s. There are lots of hydrothermal areas of the park, teeming with natural volcanic gas vents, mud pots, and bubbling pools. Lassen Volcanic National Park has even more to offer than ancient volcanic activity though. For flora enthusiasts out there, it’s also home to the Lassen Smelowskia, a rare pinkish-white flower. There’s also eight campgrounds in the national park too and it’s surprisingly free of crowds.
Pinnacles National Park
Established only back in 2013, Pinnacles National Park is one of the country’s newest parks. The cliffs, caves, and crags were formed by volcanic activity when the fallen rock was pushed by earthquakes along the San Andreas Fault line down into the Salinas Valley millions of years ago. The result is a curving maze of rock formations and pinnacles. Lots of birds can be found soaring the desert sky, and there are plenty of hiking opportunities and wildflowers for admiring. There’s a trail from the east to the west side of the national park but you can only reach one side to the other on foot, which makes for an unforgettable 5 mile hike.
Point Reyes National Seashore
This coastal national park is a real sight for sore eyes. The parkland almost seems to break away from the rest of the earth, jumping out into the sea. Point Reyes National Seashore is taken care of by the coastal preserve which protects over 1,500 different plant and animal species. Visitors can explore the remote beaches, rolling coastal hills, and the fog blanketed meadows. There are great spots to observe wildlife in their natural habitat like elk and over 45% of Northern California’s bird species. And you can get in your leg workout in by climbing down the 308 steps to reach the magnificent Point Reyes Lighthouse that has been guiding ships since the 1870s.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.