When we embark on great global adventures, there are some items we absolutely cannot leave behind. Your passport is certainly one, as is your credit card. The third is probably your phone. The reason the last of these is now such an important travel tool? The many amazing travel planning apps you can download to ensure you have the best trip imaginable.
Here’s our ultimate list of the top travel apps you need on your phone when you travel the world, from the moment you begin to plan to when you find yourself overwhelmed with abundant options in a great location.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hopper – Advanced Travel Booking App
This is one for the planners. Travel can be very expensive, but there are a few tricks and tips that make it less so. There’s nothing more frustrating than seeing a flight you’d booked being sold for a cheaper price just weeks later. With Hopper, users can input their travel plans, and the app will tell them when is the best time to book their flight.
Culture Trip app
When you’re proud of something, let everyone know. Culture Trip’s travel app provides hyper-local information and recommendations no matter where you’re traveling. Create a profile and you can bookmark and like stories, and the app’s intelligent search will filter your results based on the locations and attractions you really want to see.
Airports can sap the energy out of you, and there’s nothing more envy-inducing than watching people swan into the executive lounges, knowing they’ll be enjoying complimentary food and drink, showers, comfy chairs, and more. But with LoungeBuddy, you can be the person attracting the envious looks, and without paying a fortune. You can book entrance into almost any lounge for a one-time fee, with no subscription charges. Simply select your airport, the day you’re traveling, and pick a lounge. After you’ve bought your pass just show it to the staff at the entrance to the lounge and enjoy the comforts of premium travel, without having to be a member of the club.
Duolingo – Language App
Before you head to a new country, it’s wise to at least try and learn some of the language. Nobody’s expecting you to become fluent, but in non-English speaking places, a basic understanding of signs and phrases will make your time there much more rewarding. Duolingo helps people learn new languages in a entertaining game-like fashion. The app is extremely easy to use and keeps users hooked on the language of their choice. The company recently unveiled its new Japanese language course, and also covers Spanish, French, German, Russian, and many more.
Uber – Taxi Booking App
Say what you want about the company, we all use Uber. When you’re traveling and can’t face the confusion of public transport, or don’t have any cash to pay and tip a regular cab driver, Uber is probably what you pull up first. The app isn’t available everywhere, but it’s now close to covering the whole globe. It’s usually cheaper and more efficient than a regular taxi. And if you find yourself in Croatia, you can try out the new Uber speedboats.
Top Road & Map Apps
If you are brave enough to take on an unfamiliar public transport system, there’s help at hand. Citymapper is aimed at commuters, so you know you’re only getting the best travel advice within a city. The app gives you all the options to get around a city, from car sharing to buses or trains.
No matter how you choose to navigate a new country, you’re going to need a map at some point. Thankfully, the days of awkwardly unfolding a gigantic map while the locals laugh at the clueless tourist are over. MAPS.ME does something most other map apps don’t—it lets you view your maps offline. That’s crucial when you’re on roaming data tariffs and don’t want to be charged a fortune to check where you are every now and then.
In the right place, with the right people, nothing can beat a road trip. Roadtrippers lets you plan the ultimate US road trip with ease. The app will suggest routes and pinpoint hotels, attractions, hidden gems, and other places worth hopping out of the car for.
Skiplagged for Cheap Flight Booking
Skiplagged provides another way for travelers to save on their air fares. The app claims to be so good at exploiting industry secrets to find the cheapest flights, that United Airlines sued them for it. One of the tricks the app pulls is to book passengers on two-leg trips that are cheaper than direct flights to the first destination. Then passengers simply ignore the connecting flight and enjoy the cash they’ve saved.
Maven – Car Rental App
Some places are easy to get around with a car. The only problem is car rental can be a nightmare, and you may only want one for a day, or an afternoon. Maven is an app launched by GM, which offers car rental by the hour. You simply select the city you’re in, choose which car you want, and go pick it up.
Even the most prepared traveler can hit language difficulties on a trip. There are a few different translation apps and other hardware solutions, but for a traveler, it’s hard to beat Google’s Translate app. Users can listen to conversations and provide translated text, but it also works on inputted text as well, and via your smartphone’s camera, it can look at a sign and translate its meaning.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.