Home to crystal clear waters perfect for swimming and scuba-diving, visitors to Lake Champlain, Vermont, will find it easy to work up an appetite. After a day’s watersports, fishing, walking, or cycling you’ll want a delicious meal. We pick the 10 best places to find one in the valley.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Waterworks Food + Drink
For unrivaled views of the stunning Winooski River, reserve a table at Waterworks Food + Drink. Much more than just a dining experience, guests are also able to learn about the history of the Champlain Mill while tucking into delicious, innovative takes on American favorites. Separate menus are available for brunch, lunch, and dinner, and all feature rich, indulgent dishes. For a dinner to remember, start with the whipped feta with farm beans, olive oil, and grilled bread to share; follow with either the pan-roasted swordfish served with gold rice or the Waterworks steak frites, with crispy garlic and parsley fries. End on a chocolatey high with a plate of churros. Regular live music events take place here, too; check out what’s coming up on the website.
Hen of the Wood
Showcasing the richness of Vermont’s farming heritage, Hen of the Wood uses as much locally sourced produce in its dishes as possible. Taking things back to basics, the menu changes daily depending on what local ingredients are available. Previous menu items have included ham-wrapped rabbit loin served with apples, kohlrabi, and crème fraîche, Gulf of Maine hake with cippolini onions, potato, and pine nuts, and grilled octopus with sunchokes, scallions, and ginger. Those eager to try local food at bargain prices will want to stop by 4-5pm or 10-11pm each day for $1 oysters.
Splash at the Boathouse
Bar, Restaurant, Seafood, American, $
Where better to enjoy idyllic sunset views over Lake Champlain than actually on it, atop a floating dock? That’s exactly what guests can do at the gorgeous seafood restaurant, Splash at the Boathouse. The most sought after place to dine throughout the spring and summer months, guests are treated to glorious panoramas stretching across the water to the Adirondack Mountains of New York. The menu is simple, and the food is exquisite. Think appetizers of coconut shrimp and buffalo tenders, entrées of fresh Maine lobster and cranberry walnut chicken salads, and, of course, there is a fully stocked bar for anyone wanting to enjoy a cocktail as the sun goes down.
Ruthcliffe Lodge & Restaurant
Restaurant, Italian, American
Situated right on the lakefront, the Ruthcliffe Lodge & Restaurant offers delicious Italian-American style cuisine. Acclaimed chef and owner, Mark Infante, has developed an appealing and varied menu of seafood, chicken, beef, veal, various pasta entrees, homemade soups, seasonal greens and garden veg. Guests have the choice of sitting inside or out overlooking the water, plus an extensive selection of handpicked imported and domestic wines are also on offer to accompany the meal.
Shore Acres Inn & Restaurant
Located in the heart of the Champlain Islands, the family run inn and restaurant sits on the majestic Lake Champlain with stunning views of the Green Mountains. Relax on the lake shore with a glass of wine, read a book or take in the views. Under the direction of Chef Dan Rainville, the restaurant offers a variety of different dishes, including bistro and traditional plates such as the signature apple island chicken and old fashioned Yankee pot roast. It is open from 10.30am until 4pm and is also available for private parties and weddings in the off-peak season.
Cafe, Restaurant, Italian, $$
An authentic Italian trattoria nestled in the heart of picturesque Vermont, Trattoria Delia has been keeping locals happy and full-bellied since 1993. Stepping through its doors is like stepping back in time to Old World Italy. The bare-brick walls and roaring fire make this restaurant welcoming: the perfect setting for a romantic dinner. The menu is divided into antipasti, primi, and secondi, and diners are spoilt for choice. Choose between the scamorza, calamari, or cold meat plate for a beautiful antipasto to share, and then tuck into a warming bowl of tagliatelle or gnocchi for your starter. The real star of the show is the choice of secondi. Ossobuco alla Milanese (braised veal shank), polipo alla brace (wood-grilled Mediterranean octopus), and brasato di manzo (slow-braised, boneless beef short rib) are all served with sides of grilled vegetables and sage-butter-roasted potatoes.
The Daily Planet
Restaurant, Thai, Italian, $
Diners can take a culinary trip around the globe at The Daily Planet. With an expansive menu featuring dishes from Thailand, France, Japan, Italy, and, of course, the USA, this is the perfect restaurant to please everyone in the dinner party. The restaurant gives guests the choice of where they would like to enjoy their meal as well: choose to dine in the solarium; the romantic, copper-filled dining room; or with a cocktail in hand in the bubbly bar area. Favorite dishes include pan-roasted lamb lollipops, almond crusted swordfish, and caramelized sea scallops.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.