Craft brewers, small independent brewers producing flavorsome ales and lagers are a growing fixture in the USA. The South too is now seeing a popularity in craft brewing, with locals producing high-quality ales, stouts, and lagers inspired by Belgian, English, and traditional American methods. Here are 10 of the best.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Back Forty Beer Company
The odds are stacked against the emergence of small independent craft breweries in Alabama. The beer of choice for most Alabamans is mass-produced light lager-style beer, with state laws prohibiting beers over six percent ABV. However, the Back Forty Beer Company has overcome obstacles to become a leading craft brewery in Gadsen, Alabama. Its first beer was the Naked Pig Pale Ale, followed a year later by its Stop Honey Brown Ale which won a silver medal at the Great American Beer Festival. Since then the company has grown to employ 20 staff, with new releases including Freckle Belly IPA and Kudzu Porter.
Abita Brewing Company
The Abita Brewing Company is based in Abita Springs 30 miles north of New Orleans, Louisiana and is rated one of the USA’s premier craft breweries. The brewery has produced excellent beer since 1986 and production has now reached 151,000 barrels each year. Ingredients are brought in from across the world such as British malted barley and yeast from Germany, and mixed with the finest produce from North America including pure water from the local springs. The brewery offers various flagship beers including light, golden, and amber lagers, an IPA, a Restoration Pale Ale, Purple Haze lager made with raspberries, and the Turbodog dark brown ale, as well as seasonal and special beers.
Based in Austin, Texas, Adelbert’s Brewery creates award-winning Belgian-style ales using traditional high quality hops and barley bought from Europe. The brewery began life as a tribute by Scott Hovey to his late brother George Adelbert Hovey. Joining forces with fellow home brewer Taylor Ziebarth, Hovey resolved to produce top-notch beers using Belgian brewing methods. The ingredients include low alpha Czech hops and Bohemian floor-malted barley. This approach has both provided drinkers with excellent beers and won plaudits for Adelbert’s Brewery; its Naked Nun ale won a silver medal at the World Beer Champions Awards, and Philosophizer, Tripel B, Black Rhino, and Scratchin’ Hippo gave taken gold medals at the Craft Beer Awards.
Peticolas Brewing Company
The Peticolas Brewing Company is a family-run venture that began in the mid-1990s when Michael Peticolas’ mother brewed her own beer at home in El Paso. The company is now based in Dallas and since its first production batch in 2011, its brews have won awards both in Dallas and nationwide. Year-round beers available from Peticolas include the light-brown, caramel-flavoured Velvet Hammer, the English Pale Ale Royal Scandal, and the German-style Golden Opportunity with further limited release winter beers available including Great Scot! and the Alfred Brown. Various Peticolas beers have won awards at the United States Beer Tasting Championships, with Royal Scandal winning a gold medal at the Great American Beer Festival.
Lazy Magnolia Brewery
When the Lazy Magnolia Brewery was founded back 2003 it was the first package brewery in Mississippi since Prohibition laws were enacted in 1907. Mississippi only repealed these laws in 1966 and many counties remain legally dry. The first batch of Lazy Magnolia beer was produced in 2005 and the company now sells to outlets across the South. Amongst its beers is Southern Pecan, the very first beer in the world made using whole roasted pecan nuts and the 2006 winner of a bronze medal at the World Beer Cup. Other Lazy Magnolia beers include Jefferson Stout, Indian Summer wheat ale, Southern Hospitality IPA, and Southern Gentleman flavored with the Southern staples of bourbon and pecans.
The Highland Brewery in Asheville, North Carolina, was named after the many Scottish and Irish settlers of the Appalachian Mountains. The brewery began in 1994 and originally produced 6,500 barrels of beer a year as part of a three-man operation. Today the brewery produces 50,000 barrels each year, has 40 staff, and is one of the largest craft breweries in the South, supplying beer across the Southern states and the Midwest. Among the beers the brewery produce is the Black Mocha Stout which has taken silver medals at both the World Beer Championships and the Great American Beer Festival and has an indulgent and rich chocolate flavour. Other beers include Gaelic Ale, the original Highland beer, and Kashmir IPA.
Tennessee Brew Works
The aim of Tennessee Brew Works is to create beers that encapsulate the spirit of Tennessee as a whole; locally crafted, using high quality ingredients, and thoroughly independent. The headline beers include the Belgian-style Southern Wit, the Extra Easy English Pale Ale and the Cutaway Indian Pale Ale. Traditional American styles include the Basil Ryeman Tennessee Farmhouse Ale with a hint of Thai basil, and the Country Roots stout made with sweet potatoes. The brewery also produces seasonal beers including a summer Tennessee Farmhouse ale made with roasted beets and called the Farmer’s Beat.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.