Check out these homey hideaways and charming cabins that are the epitome of the romantic getaway. Showcased in the new book The Hinterland, these small and humble architectural gems are designed to help us escape the chaos of our everyday lives, offering us the chance to get back in touch with nature, be playful and simply relax. So, what are you waiting for? Grab your partner in crime, and indulge in some “us time”.
Fit for a fairytale
This enchanting forest hideaway peppered with fairy lights could be something straight out of Peter Pan – Wendy would have certainly approved. The designer, Peter Bahouth, of this charming treehouse in Atlanta built his first one when he was just eight years old. Still indulging his inner child even now, this elaborate design spans across seven trees and is linked by rope bridges. Inside, it’s a treasure trove of salvaged artefacts, collected treasures and ephemera from yesteryear. Apparently, it was voted as Airbnb’s “most wish-listed property in the world” in 2016 – it’s not hard to see why.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There’s nothing better than sitting inside a toasty log cabin, wrapped up in blankets when it’s snowing outside. Time passes slowly in this remote part of Norway, which is perfect for simply spending time gazing out of a big window into the majestic landscape of the Femundsmarka National Park beyond.
A novel stay
Bookish couples will love this secret room in the forest of Upstate New York – warm red oak envelopes this tiny-yet-substantial library, which holds more than 2,500 books. Cosy-up by the wood-burning stove, pull out a treasured tome, and wile away the afternoon together in fictional lands while watching the snow quietly fall outside.
We’re guessing things would literally get pretty steamy in this stunning grotto-inspired sauna, which is perched on an island’s edge in Georgian Bay, Ontario. It’s got jaw-dropping views over Lake Huron, which has inspired the wavy wood-clad interior.
This light-filled pentagonal terrace is the perfect perch for early evening drinks and watching the setting sun as it casts a golden glow over the treetops. The humble shed was turned from a one-storey cabin into a handsome three-floor summer home in Quebec.
Star of the show
There’s no better place for romantic star gazing than this Dutch country home. Built atop an existing 1950s holiday property, the jewel in the crown is the rooftop extension with a huge expanse of glass – here, you can lie in bed and watch the stars above the treetops.
Among the lush Brazilian rainforests, this stand-alone weekend retreat mimics indigenous Brazilian houses hidden between the leaves. Kind of like a spaceship that’s just surreptitiously landed, this playful, corrugated man-made shelter is a great hideout for bird-watching through the massive arched window.
For those looking for a truly secluded spot for a romantic getaway, what could be better than one of these cabins in northern Norway? Each hut unveils a private panorama across the sea from a cantilevered viewing box – plus, there’s your own terrace for warmer summer evenings.
On the move
This cute mobile home is perfect for couples suffering from wanderlust – they can travel to their hearts’ desire with these custom-made micro shelters designed by Tiny Heirlooms. Stripped back to the bare essentials, these offer refuge from the constraints of conventional 21st-century living.
Literally live in your own little bubble for a weekend – this contemporary treehouse, the “Baumhauskugel”, in the medieval-themed Robins Nest retreat in Germany has room enough for two. Each treehouse is accessed by a series of hanging walkways, and there are peaceful terraces up among the branches.
To see more great projects, buy The Hinterland book here.
If you enjoyed scrolling through these, check out 12 of Norway’s Most Cosy Log Cabins.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.