Mount St. Helens once caused the deadliest volcanic eruption in the United States, killing 57 people and destroying billions of dollars worth of property in 1980. One would assume that below the clouds of billowing smoke, ash, and gases lies a chamber of hot, bubbling magma – but scientists have found otherwise. Researchers for the Imaging Magma Under St Helens (iMUSH) project, searching for answers to this oddly situated volcano, discovered not lava beneath its surface – but a bed of cold, serpentine rock.
The Cascade Volcanic Arc, which runs parallel to the Cascadia subduction zone from California to British Columbia, is a string of volcanoes sitting above a geologically active region. The Juan de Fuca tectonic and North American plates collide, and as the Juan de Fuca plate nudges underneath, hot pieces of the mantle are forced to rise, squeezing melted magma of 1,470 degrees Fahrenheit out of its surface. Mount St. Helens, one of the most active volcanoes, lies 31 miles away from the Cascade Arc and its other eruptive mountains situated along the north-south line. Because of its eruptive history, Mount St. Helens’ location has continued to baffle volcanologists, many carefully studying and watching its activity over the years.
Hansen and a group of researchers set out in 2014 to find some answers. Curious to understand why this crater has been the culprit of such volatile activity, Hansen and his team conducted a seismic mapping of the volcano. Thousands of sensors were set up around the mountain, and nearly two dozen holes were drilled into its surface, each filled with explosives. The researchers then triggered several ‘mini quakes’ around the volcano, using the sensors to detect the seismic movement inside; this provides insight into the range of temperatures and kinds of material within. The results, however, were unexpected: found directly underneath Mount St. Helens was not a piping hot mantel, but a cool wedge of serpentine rock.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This finding creates quite the dilemma for researchers hoping to find some answers. Not only is Mount St. Helens located far from the source of any magma, but it does not carry any fuel of its own. It appears the volcano retrieves its eruptive power from somewhere else – Hansen believes it possibly comes from the Juan de Fuca and North American plates – but scientists are unsure of how or why. If the mountain’s power is coming from the east, closer to the Cascade Arc, that would mean it would have to travel 31 miles to arrive at Mount St. Helens – an occurrence that doesn’t make sense. The types of materials found on the east and west sides of the mountain also greatly differed, revealing that this region is geologically unique. More research is required to fully understand the workings behind this mysterious volcano, and researchers for iMUSH will continue monitoring Mount St. Helens. Understanding this mountain could provide important insight into the way volcanic arc systems around the world work.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.