Szechuan sauce has recently been thrust into the spotlight by American sitcom Rick and Morty, fuelling a demand for it to return and McDonald’s could well re-release it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Recently the sauce has found new fame on the animated American sitcom Rick and Morty, fuelling a demand for it to return.
Back in the 1990s, McDonald’s had a cross-promotion deal with Disney. To help promote the release of Disney’s Mulan movie, the story of a Chinese warrior princess, McDonald’s released Mulan toys to go with their Happy Meals and also Szechuan sauce, based on traditional Chinese Sichuan cuisine, as a dipping sauce for chicken nuggets.
Shortly after the film was released, the sauce disappeared from McDonald’s and never returned. However, the sauce has recently been the subject of an American sitcom, fuelling a demand for it to return and McDonald’s could well oblige.
Rick and Morty is an American animated sitcom about a boy and his grandfather going on multiple sci-fi related adventures. The show has a cult following in the states. In the Season three premiere, which aired in April 2017, one of the show’s characters expressed his love for the sauce, declaring that he would do almost anything to taste the delicious sauce again.
“I want that Mulan McNugget sauce, Morty, that’s my series arc, Morty. If it takes nine seasons, I want my McNugget dipping Szechuan sauce.”
The sauce was referenced multiple times in the series, leaving fans hungry to try the Szechuan sauce for themselves. Such was the interest, fans took to social media sites to demand that McDonald’s re-release the sauce. One fan even started a petition to bring back Szechuan sauce on Change.org and it received close to 50,000 signatures.
Packets of the Mulan Szechuan sauce from 1998 even started emerging on eBay with one selling for a whopping US$14,700.
In western countries, the limited-edition Mulan sauce has been highly praised, with some describing it as “godlike”. Meanwhile, in China, internet users have been amused by the recent attention the Chinese-style sauce is receiving. Many poked fun at the sauce for not authentically representing Sichuan cuisine or Chinese culture.
Sichuan cuisine – which originates from China’s southwestern Sichuan province – is characterised by its bold, pungent and spicy flavours.
McDonald’s Mulan Szechuan teriyaki dipping sauce has been described as tasting “too salty and sweet”.
Many people in Sichuan declared that they haven’t even tried McDonald’s Szechuan sauce and are doubtful that it would be anywhere near an authentic reflection of traditional Sichuan tastes and cuisine.
Nevertheless, amid all the newfound attention the sauce was receiving, McDonald’s made a couple of responses, but no concrete promises that it would bring back the sauce. That was until recently when McDonald’s sent a surprise bottle of the sauce to one of the show’s creators, to help celebrate new episodes of Rick and Morty airing.
Following this, McDonald’s has since tweeted that they would be giving away three bottles to select fans who tweeted about the sauce.
Although the sauce may not be widely available, just the notion of its return has legions of fans excited across social media. Others, more suspicious, are wondering if this was a product placement that worked really, really well.
Meanwhile, McDonald’s has announced that only a limited amount of Szechuan sauce was being made and it will not be available in stores — yet. Watch this space!
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.