You’re already in love with sailing the US Virgin Islands; you just don’t know it yet. Here, you can kayak the bioluminescent bays of St. Croix, dive the Cartanzar Senior wreck with eels and sharks, swim with hawksbill turtles in Isaac Bay and explore the 18th-century plantations reclaimed by St John’s kapok trees. Follow our seven-day itinerary to see the best of this Caribbean paradise.
Cruise with ease around this Caribbean archipelago.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Day 1: Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas
Before heading over to meet your skipper at Compass Point Marina, be sure to spend a little time where you land in Charlotte Amalie, the (party) capital of the USVIs. Here, Carnival’s parades, food fairs and fireworks start in April and end in May, but your stay will be delightful whatever the season. Nearby Blackbeard’s Castle is one of the five National Historic Landmarks in the USVIs. Red-footed tortoises plod between wild white frangipanis on Hassel Island, just offshore. Wander Frenchtown and ponder your itinerary over an IPA at Frenchtown Brewing.
Day 2: Compass Point to Magens Bay
Water Island, just off Charlotte Amalie, offers excellent fish tacos and even better snorkeling on popular Honeymoon Beach. Alternatively, explore the underground chambers of World War II-era Fort Segarra. Striking west reveals serene anchorages like Fortuna Bay. Southwest are the terns, noddies and white-tailed tropicbirds of rocky Saba Island, the greatest avian haven in the USVIs. Rounding St. Thomas’ cay-spangled western tip, you’ll find Mermaid’s Chair, a ribbon of sand separating the Caribbean and the Atlantic. Sail east along the dramatic, rocky north coast, stop for unspoilt Inner Brass Island’s forests and reefs, then moor in the sandy serenity of Magens Bay.
Day 3: Magens Bay to Cruz Bay, St. John
Today is for snorkelers and beach lovers. Sail away from Magens Bay and head east to Coki Beach. Here, the sand is fine, but the snorkeling is finer. Visibility of up to 50ft (15m) is exactly what you want when surrounded by coral, trumpetfish, eels, rays and barracuda. The Lindquist and Sapphire beaches are less populated but equally biodiverse. Further east is the marina, stores and bars of Red Hook. Next, head for Cruz Bay on St. John and find a mooring ball in Christmas Cove, north of Fish Cay. Snorkel at the Stragglers and dive at Cow and Calf.
Day 4: Cruz Bay to Coral Harbor
St. John’s north shore is wild and free. Protected by the Virgin Islands National Park, it’s all forest-fringed beaches, teeming reefs and pristine cays. Caneel Bay, Hawksnest Beach, Trunk Cay, Whistling Cay, Maho Bay – these sights are all on the must-see list. Make sure you visit Annaberg, the remains of an 18th-century Dutch sugar plantation. Offshore, you can snorkel with spotted rays and sea turtles around the lovely Watermelon Cay. Further east, the park keeps giving you eye-popping bays and beaches. Round Long Point and make for sheltered Coral Harbor. Its floating restaurant, Lime Out VI, makes for a fun few hours of cocktails and tacos.
Day 5: Coral Harbor to Salt River Bay, St. Croix
Day five is for you open-water sailors. Pause to snorkel with filefish at Hurricane Hole, a unique mangrove and coral garden. Then sail south through the deeper waters of Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument, and west to the Capella Islands. A wildlife refuge popular with sea turtles, this tiny archipelago demands exploration with flippers or a kayak. Next, traverse 30mi (48km) of open sea to Buck Island, just off St. Croix. Shallow coral grottos for snorkeling, trails for spotting leatherback turtles and two deep-diving sites beckon. A long day ends just south, at sheltered Salt River Bay.
Day 6: Salt River Bay to Teague Bay
Kayak Salt River Bay at night and marvel at its bioluminescence. This rare spectacle is caused by tiny plankton and cone jellyfish glowing neon blue. Leave the bay and head east for historic Christiansted. Tie up to explore the remains of this Dutch stronghold’s 18th- and 19th-century buildings; you’ve never seen anything like mustard-yellow Fort Christiansvaern. Tired of galley food? Try lime-coconut-steamed snapper at Galangal or flaky roti at no-frills Singh’s. Keep sailing east off the lightly developed coast to your prearranged berth at St. Croix Yacht Club, Teague Bay.
Day 7: Teague Bay to Charlotte Amalie
It’s east again to wild and lovely St. Croix East End Marine Park. The mix of mangrove, coral habitats and marine life here is the richest in the USVIs. Humpback whales cruise these waters between February and mid-April, while queen triggerfish and spotted trunkfish dart among staghorn coral. Round East Point for the calm waters and golden sands of secluded Isaac’s Bay, or more of the same at easternmost Sandy Point. If time allows, visit 18th-century Frederiksted, St. Croix’s sleepy second city. History buffs will love Fort Frederik’s stout scarlet walls, museum and seaward cannons.
Discover the best of the USVIs.
Rather stay somewhere on dry land? Read our guide to the best villas in the US Virgin Islands, all bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.