We all love our smartphones. But many of us don’t appreciate the way they can track our every step. If privacy is a concern when you’re using technology, read on to find out how to make your iPhone a little less likely to spy on you.
Your iPhone is tracking your location pretty much all the time, but there are a few things you can do to stop it. Many of these involve location-based services that you may not know are running in the background.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Location, location, location
The Frequent Locations feature saves your most often visited places, so Apple can track traffic in those areas and give updates on travel times. Like most of these features, they’re designed to make your life easier, but actually end up tracking your whereabouts. You can turn this feature off by going to Settings, Privacy, Location Services, System Services, Frequent Locations.
There are three more location-based features that you may want to disable if you don’t want Apple knowing where you are and where you’ve been. These are Location-Based Alerts, which give you notifications based on where you are, Location-Based Apple Ads, which is fairly self-explanatory, and Location-Based Suggestions, which suggests apps that you might want to install on your phone based on where you are in the world. To halt any of these features, go to Settings, Privacy, Location Services, System Services and select the ones you want to disable.
Finally, there’s also the Find My Friends feature, which aims to help you keep track of the people you care about. When you have this enabled, your friends and family can also track you. To turn this off, select Settings, Privacy, Share My Location.
There are several other features that don’t involve locations which you can turn off to stop Apple knowing every little detail about you. Apple collects information from your iPhone in order to serve up relevant ads on your phone. A lot of people are uncomfortable with their data and habits being tracked and used this way. To deactivate this, go to Settings, Privacy, Advertising and enable the Limit Ad Tracking switch.
That will halt Apple and the iOS tracking your data for the purpose of serving you ads, but it’ll still happen on your browser. Safari will enable all types of companies to track your usage, and to turn that off you just need to go to Settings, Safari, then enable the Do Not Track option.
Deleting the archives
Did you know your iPhone saves your deleted photos for 30 days? Most people do not, but if they did they might have a problem with it. Deleting a sensitive image should mean it’s gone forever, but in fact it ends up in your Recently Deleted folder. To make sure a photo is gone for good, delete it in the camera roll, then head to the Recently Deleted folder on your Albums tab, and delete it there too.
And you might have a similar problem with messages. The default setting on iOS 10 is to save your text messages indefinitely. That’s a long time for something potentially sensitive to be in existence, so if you value your privacy, you may want to head to Settings, Messages, Keep Messages and change the setting to 30 days or even one year.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.