Athletes are very superstitious people, whether it’s utilizing the same routine (or pair of socks or underwear) while on a hot streak or drastically altering habits or hairstyles when cold. There is an air of the spiritually unknown when it comes to sports.
So maybe it’s no surprise rumors and sightings of ghosts and apparitions and whispers of curses can be found among stadiums worldwide. In honor of Halloween, we examine a few of those haunting stories and stadia.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Frontier Field (Rochester, N.Y., USA)
Psychic paranormal researchers officially declared Frontier Field, home of the Rochester Red Wings, a minor league baseball team, haunted in 2004.
Rochester Paranormal researcher director Joe Burkhardt and psychic medium Cindy Lee toured the grounds and encountered a variety of ghosts (referred to as ‘Caspers’ in the trade). Lee was greeted by friendly apparitions, while Burkhardt discovered some a little more hostile.
“The ‘Caspers’ were very curious about us,” Burkhardt said. “They literally came out of the woodwork and starting coming toward us.”
A Red Wings employee said bones were discovered when the stadium was being built in 1995. That discovery, coupled with rumors of the stadium being haunted, led to Burkhardt and Lee being summoned to explore the grounds.
“When we walked in you could feel them,” Lee said. “You could feel all the spirits suddenly realizing there were at least two people who could see them, hear them and feel them.”
Estadio Hernando Siles (La Paz, Bolivia)
Was it a ghost? A lighting blunder? An aerial camera? Video editing?
No one knows for sure what shadowy figure glided through the stands during a Copa Libertadores Round of 16 match between The Strongest (Bolivia) and Defensor Sporting (Uruguay) on April 17, 2014.
With Defensor holding a 2-0 advantage in stoppage time, this figure was caught on camera swiftly moving through the lower-level seats.
Maybe it was trying to beat the postgame traffic …
Ghazi Stadium (Kabul, Afghanistan)
During the late 1990s, the stadium was used as a venue for public executions by the Taliban government.
It was said the souls of those who lost their lives inside the stadium still haunt the ground. It has caused some to avoid the ground at all costs at night.
“Now nobody comes here in the evening; even we don’t go inside,” said Nabeel Qari, a security guard. “Everyone believes the place is haunted, that the souls of the dead people are not at rest even now.”
The stadium underwent a major renovation and was re-opened in 2011 transforming the former death and torture venue into one reborn as Afghan sporting hope.
University of Notre Dame (South Bend, Ind., USA)
Many people are familiar with the famous movie quote, “Win just one for the Gipper,” — ranked No. 89 on AFI’s 100 Years … 100 Movie Quotes — but not many know its etymology.
George Gipp, the University of Notre Dame football player who was portrayed by Ronald Reagan in Knute Rockne, All American, tragically died at the age of 25 in 1920 after contracting pneumonia. Unable to access his residence hall after a night out Gipp, the school’s first All-American, slept on the steps of Washington Hall one December evening, got sick and later died.
Legend has it shortly after his death students started hearing strange noises in the building, papers would rustle and horns would mysteriously sound late at night.
St. Mary’s Stadium (Southampton, UK)
It is said that spirits from tombs excavated near the grounds haunted this soccer stadium of Southampton F.C. The belief and concern was so strong that a witch was summoned to rid St. Mary’s of evil spirits in 2001.
Cerridwen Dragonoak Connelly, a Pagan witch and archaeologist, sprinkled water from a wooden chalice outside the building, urging any bad influences to be at peace or depart from the ground.
“I performed a ritual there and, because of my upbringings, I did it in Welsh,” she said. “I performed a cleansing of the ground in Celtic tradition but athletes are a very superstitious bunch and I did a blessing for some positive energy and it has obviously worked.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.