Every year there’s one album that dominates the charts and everyone’s hearts.
Billboard has been keeping a list of all the best-selling albums (in the US) dating back to 1956 so you can find out which band or artist was worming their way into the public’s ears the year you were born (unless you’re over 61).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For tiny tots last year, it was rapper Drake’s album Views, while in 1997 it was all about Spice Girls’ debut Spice.
Back in 1987, Bon Jovi’s was topping the charts with Slippery When Wet while Elton John ruled the airwaves in 1975 with Elton John’s Greatest Hits.
Pop stars like Adele and Justin Timberlake have been topping the charts in recent years but it was musical soundtracks and Broadway hits in the 1950s and 1960s.
Here’s the full list compiled by Business Insider, with the notable singles from each best-selling album.
2016: Drake – Views
Copies sold: 4,140,000
Notable singles: ‘Hotline Bling’, ‘One Dance’
2015: Adele – 25
Copies sold: 8,008,000
Notable singles: ‘Hello’, ‘When We Were Young’
2014: Taylor Swift – 1989
Big Machine Records
Copies sold: 3,661,000
Notable singles: ‘Shake It Off’, ‘Blank Space’, ‘Bad Blood’
2013: Justin Timberlake – The 20/20 Experience
Copies sold: 2,430,000
Notable singles: ‘Suit & Tie’, ‘Mirrors’
2012: Adele – 21
Copies sold: 4,410,000
Notable singles: ‘Someone Like You’, ‘Set Fire to the Rain’, ‘Rumour Has It’
2011: Adele – 21
Copies sold: 5,824,000
Notable singles: ‘Rolling In The Deep’
2010: Eminem – Recovery
Copies sold: 3,415,000
Notable singles: ‘Not Afraid’, ‘Love The Way You Lie’
2009: Taylor Swift – Fearless
Big Machine Records
Copies sold: 3,217,000
Notable singles: ‘Love Story’, ‘You Belong With Me’
2008: Lil Wayne – Tha Carter III
Cash Money/Universal Motown
Copies sold: 2,880,000
Notable singles: ‘Lollipop’, ‘A Milli’
2007: Josh Groban – Noël
Copies sold: 3,699,000
Notable single: ‘The First Noel (feat. Faith Hill)’
2006: High School Musical (Soundtrack)
Walt Disney Records
Copies sold: 3,719,000
Notable single: ‘Breaking Free’
2005: Mariah Carey – The Emancipation of Mimi
Island Def Jam
Copies sold: 4,968,606
Notable singles: ‘We Belong Together’, ‘Shake It Off’
2004: Usher – Confessions
Copies sold: 7,979,000
Notable singles: ‘Burn’, ‘Confessions Pt. II’, ‘Yeah!’
2003: 50 Cent – Get Rich or Die Tryin’
Shady Records/Aftermath Entertainment
Copies sold: 6,536,000
Notable singles: ‘In da Club’, ’21 Questions’
2002: Eminem – The Eminem Show
Copies sold: 7,608,000
Notable singles: ‘Without Me’, ‘Sing For The Moment’
2001: Linkin Park – Hybrid Theory
Warner Bros. Records
Copies sold: 4,813,000
Notable single: ‘In The End’
2000: NSYNC – No Strings Attached
Copies sold: 9,936,000
Notable singles: ‘Bye Bye Bye’, ‘It’s Gonna Be Me’
1999: Backstreet Boys – Millennium
Copies sold: 9,446,000
Notable singles: ‘I Want It That Way’, ‘Larger Than Life’
1998: James Horner and Celine Dion – Titanic: Music from the Motion Picture
Copies sold: 9,338,000
Notable single: ‘My Heart Will Go On’
1997: Spice Girls – Spice
Copies sold: 5,302,000
Notable singles: ‘Wannabe’, ‘Say You’ll Be There’
1996: Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill
Copies sold: 7,380,000
Notable singles: ‘You Oughta Know’, ‘Hand In My Pocket’
1995: Hootie and the Blowfish – Cracked Rear View
Copies sold: 7,020,000
Notable singles: ‘Hold My Hand’, ‘Only Wanna Be With You’
1994: Elton John/Hans Zimmer – The Lion King: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Walt Disney Records
Copies sold: 4,934,000
Notable singles: ‘Can You Feel The Love Tonight’, ‘Circle of Life’
1993: Whitney Houston/Various Artists – The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album
Copies sold: 5,460,000
Notable single: ‘I Will Always Love You’
1992: Billy Ray Cyrus – Some Gave All
Copies sold: 4,700,000
Notable singles: ‘Achy Breaky Heart’
1991: Mariah Carey – Mariah Carey
Notable singles: ‘Vision of Love’, ‘Love Takes Time’
1990: Janet Jackson – Janet Jackson’s Rhythm Nation 1814
Notable singles: ‘Miss You Much’, ‘Rhythm Nation’
1989: Bobby Brown – Don’t Be Cruel
Notable single: ‘My Prerogative’
1988: George Michael – Faith
Notable singles: ‘One More Try’, ‘Father Figure’
1987: Bon Jovi – Slippery When Wet
Notable singles: ‘You Give Love A Bad Name’, ‘Livin’ On A Prayer’
1986: Whitney Houston – Whitney Houston
Notable singles: ‘How Will I Know’, ‘Greatest Love Of All’
1985: Bruce Springsteen – Born in the U.S.A.
Notable singles: ‘Dancing In The Dark’, ‘Born In The U.S.A.’
1984: Michael Jackson – Thriller
Notable singles: ‘Billie Jean’, ‘Beat It’
1983: Michael Jackson – Thriller
Notable singles: ‘Thriller’, ‘P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)’
1982: Asia – Asia
Notable single: ‘Heat of the Moment’
1981: REO Speedwagon – Hi Infidelity
Notable singles: ‘Keep on Loving You’, ‘Take It on the Run’
1980: Pink Floyd – The Wall
Notable singles: ‘Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)’
1979: Billy Joel – 52nd Street
Notable single: ‘My Life’
1978: Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Sound Track
Notable singles: ‘How Deep Is Your Love’, ‘Stayin’ Alive’
1977: Fleetwood Mac – Rumours
Notable singles: ‘Go Your Own Way’, ‘Don’t Stop’
1976: Peter Frampton – Frampton Comes Alive!
Notable single: ‘Show Me The Way’
1975: Elton John – Elton John’s Greatest Hits
Notable singles: ‘Your Song’, ‘Daniel’
1974: Elton John – Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Notable single: ‘Bennie and the Jets’
1973: War – The World Is a Ghetto
Notable single: ‘The Cisco Kid’
1972: Neil Young – Harvest
Notable single: ‘Heart of Gold’
1971: Jesus Christ Superstar
Notable single: ‘Superstar’
1970: Simon and Garfunkel – Bridge over Troubled Water
Notable singles: ‘Bridge over Troubled Water’, ‘The Boxer’
1969: Iron Butterfly – In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Notable single: ‘In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida’
1968: The Jimi Hendrix Experience – Are You Experienced
Notable singles: ‘Purple Haze’, ‘Foxy Lady’
1967: The Monkees – More of The Monkees
Notable single: ‘I’m A Believer’
1966: Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass – Whipped Cream & Other Delights
Notable single: ‘A Taste of Honey’
1965: Mary Poppins (Original Soundtrack)
Walt Disney Records
Notable singles: ‘A Spoonful of Sugar’, ‘Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious’
1964: Hello, Dolly! (Original Broadway Cast)
20th Century Fox Records
Notable single: ‘Hello, Dolly!’
1963: West Side Story (Soundtrack)
Notable single: ‘I Feel Pretty’
1962: West Side Story (Soundtrack)
Notable single: ‘Maria’
1961: Camelot (Original Broadway Cast)
Notable single: ‘If Ever I Would Leave You’
1960: The Sound of Music (Original Broadway Cast)
Notable single: ‘Do-Re-Mi’, ‘The Sound of Music’
1959: Henry Mancini – Music from Peter Gunn
RCA Victor Records
Notable single: ‘Peter Gunn Theme’
1958: My Fair Lady (Original Broadway Cast)
Notable single: ‘With A Little Bit of Luck’
1957: My Fair Lady (Original Broadway Cast)
Notable single: ‘The Rain in Spain’
1956: Harry Belafonte – Calypso
RCA Victor Records
Notable singles: ‘Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)’, ‘Jamaica Farewell’
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.