What really goes on behind that enviable photo on Instagram? Blogger Sara Melotti, recently penned a post that exposes the multiple ways in which influencers cheat the system to gain following, fame and earnings. From creating organized “pods” for boosting engagement, to buying followers, Melotti rips the veil off what she calls the “Instagram mafia” and reveals the true cost of social media fame.
In the early days of Instagram, posts would appear chronologically on a user’s newsfeed, regardless of following or engagement. In short, it was an even playing field so that someone with 100 followers could have their photos seen just as easily as someone with say, a million. Then, about a year ago, Instagram, which is owned by Facebook, updated its algorithm to only show posts that it believed users would be keen on viewing.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Instagram explained in a press release that the order of photos and videos in a user’s feed would be based on “the likelihood you’ll be interested in the content, your relationship with the person posting and the timeliness of the post.” Just like that, the playing field became uneven. With more than 500 million Instagram users, influencers suddenly found themselves losing following and engagement due to the new update.
“People weren’t seeing our posts anymore, numbers were dropping fast and some of us, panicking, started coming up with ‘creative’ solutions to trick [Instagram’s] evil algorithm and keep our work seen by our followers,” writes Melotti.
Those “creative” tricks seem to run the gamut. First there is the obvious answer of purchasing followers, likes and comments. Sites—such as Buzzoid or Hypez—offer packages starting at US$2.99 (UK£2.34) for 100 likes. The sites also offer an “automatic likes” service, which will auto-generate likes to any new posts on your account, making the engagement seem more organic and timely.
Those opposed to buying following and engagement will use other means such as the popular follow/unfollow method to grow following. Third party services, such as the now closed Instagress, aimed to facilitate the process by charging Instagram users to follow, comment and unfollow on their behalf.
While some Instagrammers will try to build their following in earnest, many end up emulating other successful accounts by taking photos in the exact same spots and in the exact same styles that are proven to get likes. Other Instagram users may turn to more ethical means by reaching out to popular accounts that aggregate users’ photos, in hopes of having their content featured. As Melotti reveals, many of these accounts—whose fame was earned on the backs of user-generated posts—now charge upwards of US$200 (UK£156) for a single post to be shared.
Yet, these revealed tricks pale in comparison to the collusion that is the “Instagram mafia”. First, there are the comment pods in which 10 to 15 people will create a group message to alert one another each time a new photo is posted. The rules of the comment pod is to comment and like one another’s posts in an effort to give the appearance of high engagement. As Melotti explains, this leads to a larger strategy, using different apps, where influencers create Whatsapp or Facebook chats to coordinate times to post, comment and like one another’s content.
It was discovered that photos receiving high engagement within 45 minutes of posting had a higher chance of being featured on Instagram’s Explore page, thereby garnering thousands of likes and potential new followers. This became the ultimate “Instagram mafia” goal: engagement at all costs.
While buying likes, comments and tricking Instagram’s algorithm may seem harmless, it becomes borderline illegal when you look at the financial ramifications of this scheme. According to Forbes, “An Instagram user with 100,000 followers can command US$5,000 for a post made in partnership with a company or brand.” That dollar amount jumps to US$50,000+ for Instagram accounts with more than 1 million followers. In short, there is a lot of money to be made on Instagram. For travel Instagram influencers in particular, a successful account can mark the difference between living an enviable nomadic lifestyle or sitting behind a desk.
With brands spending exorbitant amounts of money on Instagram advertising, some influencers are not only cheating the system for fame but are cheating advertisers out of money.
Brands invest in influencers in an effort to tap their engagement and reach their audience; but if that audience is nothing but bots and those comments the result of “comment pods” or purchased packages, then the brand can spend upwards of US$100,000 on what is essentially a mirage.
Since its publication, Melotti’s honest account of what happens on Instagram has been featured on Business Insider, Travel + Leisure, The Daily Mail and shared upwards of 50,000 times.”I wrote the piece because I was sick of bullshit! Because I’m tired of living in a world where talent and hard work are often overcome by dishonesty and trickery,” Melotti tells Culture Trip. “Instagram started out as an innovative, creative storytelling platform and now it’s turning into a soulless factory.”
Admittedly, many of us (myself included) can be guilty of some of the above tricks. Hell, I recently found myself struggling to balance my camera on a mountain of pillows so I too could snap an “effortless” shot of myself looking out the window of my Paris hotel. But, while taking guilty pleasure in visiting an “Instagram hot spot” or mirroring a favorite photo is harmless, deceiving advertisers and perpetuating a false reality is not.
Rather than follow the siren’s call of easy Instagram fame, Melotti recommends building your account ethically. “Try to get featured by (honest) collective accounts, post good quality content and try to keep your feed consistent and visually pleasing,” suggests Melotti. “Put yourself into your art. Your best asset is your ability to be unique and what you can bring to the table that no one else can. Buying followers and playing tricks will bite you in the ass in the long run.”
Follow Culture Trip on Instagram.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.