Video games put you right in the middle of the story. So, when that story is particularly unnerving, the potential to be scared senseless increases. For those who think they can handle the horrors, try playing one of the following games with the lights shut off this Halloween.
Alien: Isolation, based on the Alien sci-fi movie franchise, puts players on a space station with an alien, and challenges them to survive. Players control Amanda Ripley, the daughter of Ellen Ripley, the main protagonist in the Alien films who is played by Sigourney Weaver. The game puts an emphasis on stealth and resourcefulness, as Ripley attempts to navigate the space station without getting eaten by the alien constantly stalking her.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
At this point, we also should give a shout out to Aliens vs. Predator, released in 2010, which lets players choose between controlling an alien, a predator, or a Marine soldier. The Marine, constantly outmaneuvered and outgunned, made for terrifying gameplay, as did Alien “face huggers” jumping out of nowhere.
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill, initially released in 2001, is still described as one of the scariest video games ever. The game got a make-over in 2012 as part of a HD series, and is regarded as a classic in the genre. The game utilizes the third-person viewpoint and clue-based gameplay to terrify players. The story revolves around James Sutherland, who receives a letter written by his deceased wife, asking him to meet her in their special place in Silent Hill.
Check out the super creepy intro to the game below.
Five Nights at Freddy’s
Five Nights at Freddy’s is a very simple, yet very terrifying game. Players are appointed the new security guard at a fictional pizza restaurant, and asked to keep the place safe for the night. Sounds easy, right? Not so much when you include the murderous animatronic animal characters that are in the restaurant with you, and have every intention of dealing out some death. The game, released in 2014, is not complex: players select cameras to keep track of the toys as they move, and can close doors to shut them out. But if the power runs low and the lights switch off, expect to fall out of your seat as the toys attack from the darkness.
The trailer shows you just how scary fluffy robot toys can be.
The Resident Evil games can make a decent claim to being the first in the horror-survival genre of video games. The series, which began way back in 1996, sees players take on zombies and other horrors as they battle their way through different environments. There have been 27 iterations of the game to date, and there are more planned for next year and the year after. The game has also spawned movies, cartoons and comic books.
The latest version of the game, Resident Evil 7 Biohazard, is out next year.
Forbidden Siren 2
Forbidden Siren 2 is another Japanese game and gain in the horror/survival/stealth genre. Published in 2006, the game follows several characters who are trapped on Yamijima Island, off the coast of Japan. The island’s population disappeared mysteriously in 1976, and gamers experience the island 29 years later through the eyes of the various characters. It’s a creepy premise, and battling through the monsters to get to the bottom of the mystery doesn’t disappoint.
Considering how uber-creepy the main menu was, it’s surprising anybody even reached the actual game.
Shop Amazon Echo – Always Ready, Connected, and Fast. Just Ask
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.