Smalls is sitting on his front porch fiddling with his broken baseball glove. Benny “The Jet” Rodriguez walks up with a glove and bat in hand.
“Hey, I’m gonna play some ball. We need an extra guy. You wanna go?”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The days of going to your friend’s house — like in this scene from The Sandlot (1993) — and asking if he or she wants to have a catch, throw a football or go for a run are long gone. Today, a simple text can do the trick.
“Pickup. 3pm @ the park. Cya”
But even now that seems out of date. As Bob Dylan famously sang, The times they are a-changin.
Now playing pickup basketball, a round of golf or going for a jog with a partner can be arranged through an app. ATLETO helps users coordinate more than 40 different sports and workouts by interest, location and skill level.
“This product came about because of my passion for sports and passion for bringing people together to do sports,” CEO and co-founder Patrick Lundgren said. “I spent lots of time coordinating these activities with my friends. One day, I was sitting next to a friend of mine who was on Tinder, and I saw how easily he connected with women he wanted to go on a date with. Then it hit me — make a product as simple as a dating app but the end result is sports instead of a date.”
The app, which is available on iOS, Android and online, is used in a similar vein as dating apps. Users create a profile, select which sport(s) they are interested in playing and then browse nearby activities they can ask to join. If nothing piques their interest, users can host their own activity.
Activities and events can be public for anyone to join, or private to remain just among you and your friends.
“In today’s society, we want to connect with people, we want to share things and we want to live our lives through others or share our lives with others,” Lundgren said. “We want more people to find compatible matches to do their favorite sports because sports are much more fun together.”
ATLETO isn’t just for finding sports and activities in your own backyard, though. He said it comes in handy when traveling around the world as well to remain active and find like-minded individuals.
“Sports or activities you do every day won’t be put on pause when you travel,” he said.
Lundgren said he and the ATLETO team plan on taking the app to college campuses and businesses in the next 3-6 months, utilizing these markets as a way to connect students through pickup and intramural games, as well as getting co-workers out of the office to participate in activities together and exercise more.
“I think sports are more fun when you do it together, that’s why we say #SportTogether, and we want to encourage the social element of sports,” Lundgren said. “When I was growing up, I was so happy when I knocked on that door and my friend was home to play. But things are easier now with how we are able to connect with each other.”
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.