Whenever Coachella‘s two weekends arrive, a rejuvenating spirit fills us once again as it does this time every year: music festival season has returned. As lineups are slowly revealed, we all must tackle the onerous task of deciding which events are worth the ticket prices.
Selecting the right festivals is crucial: Does the lineup match your musical interests? Will the attending crowd line up with your personality? Will the event offer you broadening life experiences beyond a healthy crop of performances?
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
With hundreds of music festivals located all over the world, there is so much to see and hear, but with many of them overlapping in dates, and a budget in mind, it’s obvious that seeing them all in one year is impossible.
However, it is achievable to catch a handful of the best festivals that meet your cravings and take you to all corners of the globe. Below, Culture Trip’s Music Editors, Ann Lee and Ryan Kristobak, have curated six themed lists of 10 festivals that will have you jetting from country to country through the rest of 2017 (and some into 2018) for the most extraordinary musical year of your life.
Come on. Even if you only have a passing interest in music, you’ve heard of these ones. Coachella, Glastonbury and V Festival are as famous for the celebrities that rock up in their pristine Hunter wellies every year as for the big names headlining. Some you really need to do at least once in your life. If you’ve not waded through oceans of mud, got lost finding your friends and woken up hungover in the Green Fields hugging a complete stranger at Glasto, you’ve not lived as far as we’re concerned.
For those who have ventured out to the playa in Nevada’s Black Rock Desert, it’s clear that Burning Man is an experience unlike any other offered in this world. Yet, for those seeking the city’s DIY, healing, wild, creative spirit on a smaller scale, these festivals – from offshoot AfrikaBurn to Mexico’s surf and yoga celebration Genius Loci Fest – just might provide you with what you are looking for.
If pop doesn’t do it for you, these festivals will fill your inner indie-kid’s heart with joy. True, Radiohead, The Weeknd and Arcade Fire seemed to have been booked as headliners for most of them but these are packed full of alternative bands and rising stars. Barcelona’s Primavera Sound is surely one of the hippest festivals you can go to, while music lovers can extend the traditional summer fun by heading to South East Asia later in the year for Clockenflap and Wonderfruit.
Sometimes it’s more about the culture than it is the music. If you are looking for a chance to learn a new way of life just as much as some good tunes, this path was made for you. From the Malaysian rainforest to a camping excursion along the chilly hillsides of a volcanic Icelandic island and Mexico’s Dia de los Muertos, prepare to immerse yourself in events you will find nowhere else.
If there’s one thing music festivals should be about it’s the dancing. EDM, techno, house, drum’n’bass, dub… take your pick. Here’s a whole route to take you from Europe to Asia via Morocco if you fancy chasing the beats that’ll keep you throwing mad shapes long into the night. Sonar offers more edgy acts while Ultra Japan has its fair share of mainstream crowd pleasers. Get your glow sticks ready – it’s time to rave your way around the world.
Long before the days of Instagramming, you and all your friends standing in front of Coachella’s giant astronaut wearing flower crowns, before tanks with pot leaves, aliens, and pizza on them, there was jazz. If you’re looking for a respite from the drug-prone, bass-dropping festivals that dominate headlines, this route takes you from from the birthplace of this great American musical tradition for its annual celebration to some of the world’s most beautiful locations until coming to a conclusion in the Cuban capital.
Design by Amanda Suarez/Culture Trip
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.