Bridges can be marvels of architecture, as impressive as well-designed buildings. Many of the most stunning and show-stopping bridges can be found in the U.S.A. Here are some of the best.
Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco
When it was opened in 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge was the longest and tallest suspension bridge in the world, spanning 4,200 feet and reaching over 746 feet high. While that honor now belongs to a bridge in Japan, the Golden Gate Bridge remains one of the world’s most famous and iconic bridges. It connects San Francisco to Marin County, and has been described as one of the Wonders of the Modern World by the American Society of Civil Engineers. It is one of the most photographed structures in the United States.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Brooklyn Bridge, New York
It is a New York City rite of passage to walk the gorgeous Brooklyn Bridge, which connects Lower Manhattan to Brooklyn Heights. The bridge, which was built over 14 years in the late-19th century, is over 1,595 feet long. It was the first steel-wire suspension bridge ever created. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1964. For the best views of the city, walk from Manhattan to Brooklyn at sunset, and take in the sweeping views of Manhattan from the other side.
Mackinac Bridge, Michigan
The 26,372 foot Mackinac Bridge spans the Upper and Lower Peninsulas of Michigan. The bridge was a serious labor of love, originally conceived of in the 1880s and not completed until 1957. The beautiful bridge takes those who cross it over not one but two of the majestic Great Lakes, Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.
Sunshine Skyway Bridge, Florida
From a distance, the Sunshine Skyway Bridge looks like a group of billowing sails. The bridge, which spans the city of Tampa Bay, is a whopping 21,877 feet long. Former Florida Governor and U.S. Senator Bob Graham was apparently inspired to suggest the design for the bridge by a visit to France, where he saw the similar-looking Brotonne Bridge, and thought one might look nice closer to home.
Royal Gorge Bridge, Colorado
Unique among American bridges, an entire theme park has arisen around the interest in and affection for the Royal Gorge Bridge. Located near Canon City, Colorado, the park features gondolas, a Skycoaster, and ziplining, all great ways to see the spectacular 955-foot gorge that the bridge traverses. The Royal Gorge Bridge began construction in 1929, and was the world’s largest for many years; it still takes top honors as the tallest bridge in the United States.
Bixby Creek Bridge, California
Those who follow California Instagram accounts are likely to be familiar with the Bixby Creek Bridge, whose graceful architecture and soaring backdrop against the Big Sur coastline makes it a natural spot for travelers to stop and get a shot. When the bridge was opened in 1932, it was the longest concrete span on the California State Highway System. And in true California entertainment-industry style, the bridge is so beautiful that it even inspired a Death Cab for Cutie song, “Narrow Stairs”.
New River Gorge Bridge, West Virginia
Arching gracefully over a river in West Virginia’s Appalachian Mountains, the New River Gorge Bridge was the world’s longest single-span arch bridge for many years, and is still the fourth longest in the world. The bridge is such a source of pride for West Virginia that the state commemorates the bridge by stamping its likeness onto the West Virginia state quarter.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.