After experiencing their heyday in the 1960s-80s, dinner theatres have largely slipped from public consciousness but they haven’t disappeared. In fact, they have continued to develop and flourish. There are wonderful examples across the USA, all offering great food and great shows. We explore the 10 best dinner theatres currently thriving in America.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Barn Dinner Theatre
The Barn, in Greensboro, North Carolina is the oldest, operating dinner theatre in America. Open since 1964, they offer guests Broadway-style shows with a delicious dinner buffet to make the show that much better. The buffet is full of Southern classics like fried okra, and banana pudding for dessert, and meat choices of Angus roast beef and honey glazed ham to fill you up in the best possible way. Their performances range from the occasional concert to shows of all sorts, like A Raisin in the Sun for a more serious experience, or A Good Old Fashioned Redneck Christmas for a bit of fun during the holiday season.
Candlelight Dinner Playhouse
The shows you’ll find at Candlelight Dinner Playhouse in Johnstown, Colorado are Broadway favorites, put on with local actors in a classy theatre and restaurant. They change the menu before every show, so no part of the experience ever feels old, no matter how many times you go back. To make it a really special occasion, try some of their suggested wine and meal pairings, or take a look through their wine menu. Enjoy the exquisite immersive experience, the menu and wait staff are actually tailored to match whichever hilarious, classic show you’re about to see.
Fireside Dinner Theatre
Fireside Dinner Theatre in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, originally opened as a small restaurant and theatre in 1964, before expanding into its current form in 1978. This spectacular theatre-in-the-round has consistently had to expand because of high demand, and things are no different now. Their chef has a reputable background in fine dining, so guests can be assured that the meal will be an extremely memorable part of their night. Their repertoire of shows includes both classic Broadway musicals, and musical revues performed by their in-house band, either of which will guarantee an entertaining evening. If you’d like a material reminder of your night out, be sure to check out their gift shop.
Murray’s Dinner Playhouse
Murray’s has been around since 1977, committed to giving the people of Little Rock, Arkansas the highest quality theatre and food experience. Their focus in shows is split between fun comedies and Broadway musicals, either of which promise to entertain. The menu is tailored to go along with the show, so your whole evening blends into a full experience. If the show is set in England, expect something like Yorkshire pudding. Murray’s is also engaged with their community; every year, they co-sponsor a scholarship along with the National Dinner Theatre Association to support a theatre or dance major at the University of Arkansas Little Rock.
Candlelight Pavilion Dinner Theater
Located in Claremont, California, in the suburbs of Los Angeles, Candlelight Pavilion is LA’s best choice for a night of theatre and good eats put together. They are now in their 30th year, and recently celebrated by putting on their 200th show. Their shows are all Tony Award winners, and due to their location, always feature top-notch actors performing. While the sets and the elegant interior will certainly catch your attention, the food prepared by their well-respected gourmet chef will also demand notice. If you’re looking for elegance on all fronts in LA, Candlelight Pavilion is the place to come.
Circa ’21 Dinner Playhouse
The name of Circa ’21 hearkens back to the theatre’s original founding as a vaudeville and silent movie theatre in 1921, when it was unique in the area that would become known as Quad Cities. When the theatre eventually failed as a movie theatre, it was converted into a dinner theatre, and has been Quad Cities’ premier dinner theatre since 1977. They hold auditions in New York and LA to draw the top performers in the country to feature in their productions. It was renovated to bring back its original grandeur, so now you can go and enjoy any number of shows and feel like you’re in the roaring twenties. The theme of the menu changes according to the show, for example, expect French cuisine to go with Les Miserables.
Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre
The Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre in Lancaster Pennsylvania, does a great job of combining simplicity and elegance to create an atmosphere that everyone can enjoy. Their list of shows is consistently made up of Broadway musical favorites, and the set design, direction, and acting at the Dutch Apple is of the finest quality. To compliment their fantastic performances, they have the buffet, which includes local touches like shoofly pie in the dessert section, an Amish specialty to suit the theatre’s location in Amish country. The inside of the theatre is grand, yet comfortable, the sort of place you’d be happy to return to again and again.
Jackson Hole Playhouse
Jackson Hole Playhouse, out in Jackson, Wyoming, proves that Wyoming isn’t just worth a visit for the national parks. Jackson Hole Playhouse is an experience in itself, from the moment you step in until the curtain closes. Before the show, dinner is served in the saloon, outfitted just like the ones in old westerns. On top of that, the actors wait on guests before the show, and sing throughout dinner. Everybody then moves into the theatre, and the night continues with the main event, usually a show with a Western theme. The historic building, which is the oldest building still standing in Jackson, adds a historical dimension to your night out.
Pines Dinner Theatre
Pines Dinner Theatre makes an effort to be a lot more casual than some dinner theatres but that doesn’t take away from experience that is offered. Their menu changes according to shows, and you’ll have it brought to your table, so you won’t even have to get up. Their shows usually aren’t well known, so you get the opportunity to see a high-quality performance of something new and exciting. Also, who knows, you might even get something extra, a man proposed to his girlfriend on the stage at their Valentine’s Day show.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.