“Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.”
— Arthur Somers Roche
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Though the term is often used conversationally to express stress or nervousness, for many people “anxiety” is a very real, very serious condition.
Medically, anxiety refers to any number of conditions that cause fear and worry so severe that they interfere with a person’s ability to function normally in their day-to-day lives. Symptoms include everything from trembling to heart palpitations. And, as anyone with anxiety will tell you, sometimes the feeling comes on without warning and is terribly difficult to quell. In the moment, anxiety symptoms can be so relentless that finding a remedy seems impossible. But what if you could do little things every day to prevent those feelings from even coming about at all.
Here are our 7 simple ways to ease your anxiety over 7 days:
Day 1: Try mindfulness meditation
Mindfulness meditation is derived from Buddhist tradition and involves taking a quiet moment to take stock of yourself, your actions, and your surroundings. According to Harvard Help Guide, “above all, mindfulness practice involves accepting whatever is arising in your awareness at each moment.”
For those grappling with anxiety, mindfulness meditation can help you control negative emotions while channeling positive ones. A 2014 study also found that meditation helps ease psychological stress and increase general well-being in adults who expressed problems with anxiety, depression, and stress.
Day 2: Take a hot bath with epsom salt
Warm baths are super soothing, but epsom salt can take them to the next level. The magnesium in epsom salt has been shown to relieve everything from minor aches and pains to chronic arthritis. But, according to mindbodygreen, it can also help relieve stress.
“Magnesium helps promote a feeling of calm and relaxation,” Jen Broyles writes. “ It also increases energy and reduces irritability. Epsom salt baths can help improve your sleep and concentration.”
Day 3: Question your thoughts
Anxiety often causes irrational thoughts. Questioning those thoughts can help you combat the worry that occurs as a result. Dr. Marla W. Diebler told PsychCentral that asking yourself some of these questions can help you avoid an anxious moment:
Is this worry realistic?
If the worst possible outcome happens, what would be so bad about that?
Could I handle that?
What might I do?
Is this really true or does it just seem that way?
Day 4: Start a journal
What’s making you anxious? Sometimes keeping your negative emotions bottled up can make them seem even worse. Much like asking yourself important questions, journaling can help you get a handle on what’s bothering you and decide whether it’s even worthwhile to spend your time thinking about it.
Day 5: Keep a few positive affirmations
The whole idea here is to counteract your overwhelming negative thoughts. So, before a thought becomes too worrisome, combat it with an affirmation to calm and comfort yourself. It can be as simple as “I am calm, safe, and protected” or tackle the anxiety straight on, affirming “my anxiety will not control me.”
Whatever affirmation you choose, try to make it your mantra both in peaceful times and in moments when you feel your anxiety creeping up.
Day 6: Fix your diet
Your mind and your body are connected. Eating a balanced diet keeps your body physically in check and, inevitably, gives you one less thing to worry about. Turkey, whole wheat bread, salmon, and greek yogurt are among the foods believed to help ease anxiety, according to Everyday Health. Coffee, pastries, and alcohol are among the items you should probably avoid.
Day 7: Try coloring books
This may seem silly at first, but adult coloring is becoming increasingly popular. It’s an unconventional hobby, but has been shown to have some real mental health benefits. If you’re trying to ward off anxiety, you may want to give it a try.
“There’s a self-soothing meditative benefit because you are doing the same motion over and over, especially with symmetrical drawings,” psychotherapist and board-certified art therapist Lina Assad Cates told the Washington Post.
Once you’ve made it to day 7, circle back to the beginning and try it all again.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.