Tired of your usual scary/trendy/risqué Halloween style? How about adding a flash of sophistication to your look this year with with an art-themed costume! From a Roy Lichtenstein pop art princess to the iconic American Gothic couple, here are 13 fancy dress ideas that will add some high culture and serious fun into your night!
It’s easy to dress as the king of pop art and it couldn’t be cooler either. Just throw on a black polo neck and black jeans, grab a wig and carry a few cans of Campbell’s Soup for good measure.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Girl with a Pearl Earring
Be the belle of the Dutch Golden Age as Johannes Vermeer’s Girl with a Pearl Earring. The earring itself is of course the key accessory here and you will also need both a blue and a yellow headscarf, a white shirt, a beige shawl and a flowy skirt. Minimal makeup is required – just a reddish pink lip and hey presto!
Rage, Flower Thrower
This street art icon by Banksy is a great costume option if you want to be ultra trendy and artsy at the same time. Keep it simple without the face paint, dual-coloured jeans and hoodie all together, or go all out like this guy did, making art out of his art-themed outfit!
Wear the most famous smile in the world as Leonardo Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa! A frame with a landscape background is all you need, then cut through, let those wavy locks loose, get those cheek dimples showing and voila! Again, this look requires practically no makeup, and the outfit itself can be mimicked with simple basics from your closet.
Vincent van Gogh
Keep it easy and utterly recognisable as the Dutch post-impressionist painter behind such masterpieces as Starry Night. A natural ginger beard is ideal for this look, but you can always buy one if need be! Beyond that, you will need a straw hat, cardigan or blazer and to top it off, an old-fashioned pipe. For an added bonus, try taping up one of your ears.
Get geometric, as a Piet Mondrian painting! While you probably don’t own a dress like this, it wouldn’t be too hard to DIY a colour-block frock to resemble the iconic works of this Dutch modernist painter.
Little Dancer, Aged Fourteen
Pose as one of art history’s most famous sculptures ever, Edgar Degas’s Little Dancer, Aged Fourteen. You are covering two bases with this tutu, as not only are you portraying the now multi-million dollar artwork, but also the subject the piece is based on, young Paris Opera Ballet student, Marie van Goethem.
Want to dress as one of the most expensive paintings sold at auction ever and stay in the horror theme at the same time? Look no further than Edvard Munch’s The Scream. Pro-tip: Grab a poster of the famous artwork if you don’t feel like trying to paint the background yourself.
Let your eyebrow hair fly free as Mexican surrealist painter, Frida Kahlo. A fabulous flower crown, statement bracelets, bold lip and colourful embroidered clothing complete this look.
Grant Wood’s American Gothic has to be the world’s most perfect artsy couples costume! Just channel Little House on the Prairie for the clothing, jump in that frame and create what Instagram dreams are made of. Oh, and whatever you do don’t forget the pitchfork!
Go fully cubist as a Pablo Picasso portrait! The makeup for this look is pretty intensive but remember, these works are abstract anyway, so feel free to make mistakes! The striped shirt is a lovely touch here and of course the frame not only alludes to the painting itself, but also adds another square to complete the theme.
If you want to keep your costume fun, simple and absolutely charming, surrealist artist Salvador Dali is an excellent choice. Plus, you’ll get to don what will probably be the most incredible moustache of your life.
Recreate Pop Art in real life as a Roy Lichtenstein girl! Again, the makeup is no joke here, but based on how awesome this look is, it is absolutely worth it! Large pearl earrings and a sun-yellow wig will leave people confusing you for the original. For an added bonus, make yourself a comment bubble and write in one of the artist’s famous phrases.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.