Forget boring holidays where you don’t get to know the locals and never make friends. We’ve put together the ultimate list of travel destinations for extroverts that’s sure to give them all the stimulation they need.
The Irish are famously a friendly lot, and your average extrovert is likely to have a fine old time exploring some of Dublin’s 1,000 or so pubs and chatting to people along the way. There’s also a plethora of pub crawls if you’re after something more organised, themed around everything from the city’s literary tradition to music. Either way, you’ll be interacting with lots of different people and working the crowd.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Couchsurfing in Bogotá, Colombia
Couchsurfing is ideal for extroverts: it’s all about making connections with other people, you get to spend a ton of time socialising, and you can move right along and stay with someone else if you’re not having fun. Having that experience in a city like Bogotá, a vibrantly engaging place great for discovering new music and nightlife, would be a fabulous experience.
New York City, US
Ah, the city that never sleeps. It comes equipped with determination, entertainment and a 24 hour public transport system, meaning you can keep going until you pass out with tiredness. Many restaurants are open all night, standard bar closing time is 4am and you can even get your hit of culture when the sun is asleep, with the Empire State Building viewing platform open until 2am and the Brooklyn Museum staying open until 11pm on the first Saturday of the month.
The cultural and sporting capital of Australia, Melbourne was voted the world’s most liveable city by the Economist Intelligence Unit annual global liveability survey. Inherently artsy and bohemian, there’s a strong culture of good food and delicious coffee, and plenty of opportunities to get chatting to new people in cosy bars or in the queue to try next big pastry trend.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
One of the world’s most stunning urban landscapes, Rio has every activity you could wish for – sailing, surfing, hang-gliding, cycling and volleyball among them. Hang out on the beaches to meet people, chill out and sink into the fabric of the city. Make it to the annual carnival celebrations, held yearly before Lent, and you’ll see how much this city loves to party. There’ll be dancing, costumes and tradition galore.
Whitewater, Wisconsin, US
The city of Whitewater in Wisconsin was discovered to be the most extroverted city in the States, so gregarious types should fit right in. While there are activities such as skiing, hiking and lots of independent shops, the city is ideal for those who want to get to know new people and make new friends, thanks to its outgoing, hospitable nature.
Interrailing through Europe
This is one of the ultimate extroverted activities. With the entire rail network of Europe open you can travel to your heart’s content. Whether you meticulously plan your route or go where the mood takes you, wherever you go you’ll meet like-minded people who are up for a good time. Interrailing provides ample opportunity to connect with both people and places, and to be stimulated by the ever-changing threads of energy around you as you travel.
Lathmar Holi festival, Barsana and Nandgaon, Uttar Pradesh, India
Holi starts here. Every year thousands of Hindus travel to these small villages to participate in a celebration of the arrival of spring, which happens to involve brightly coloured powders, dyes and flower petals being thrown at each other. A loud and joyful occasion, it’s the perfect place to feel the spirit of fun, love and equality that the festival brings.
This city will slap your senses wide awake with one of the biggest array of smells and sights that you’ve ever experienced. Prepare to haggle your way to a bargain and to get lost in streets that seem to have no end. With plenty of historical wonder and culture around you, you’ll find plenty to keep your buzzing mind occupied.
Uganda was named as one of the friendliest countries in the world, according to a BBC survey, so extroverts should head here to enjoy amazing landscapes and year-round good weather. A dynamic city of contrasts, Kampala has both a busy central area and greener spaces further out.
This street-life centric destination is the most visited city in the world, attracting approximately 20.2 million international visitors a year. There’s so much to see and do here that it’s almost overwhelming, from having your mouth zing with the flavours of the world-renowned street food to exploring the maze-like streets and finding temples that are hundreds of years old. Friendly conversation, haggling and the egalitarian nature of the city’s 50,000 places to eat means you’ll be sure to find someone to chat to.
Not a extrovert? Try our introvert’s guide to travel.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.