Sand in your toes, the sound of the sea, and a sense of tranquility are just a few things we love about the beach. Loud crowds cluttering our peaceful picture? Not so much. Just in time for your next beach day, here are 10 of the best secret, uncrowded beaches in America.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sandbridge Beach, Virginia
With the rest of the state heading to Virginia Beach, you’ll find solace 15 miles (24 kilometers) south, in Sandbridge. The five-mile (eight-kilometer) coastline consists solely of sand and sea—and, the best part yet, no resort ruckus. Immerse yourself even further in nature by exploring nearby False Cape State Park and Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge.
Cumberland Island, Georgia
Georgia’s Cumberland Island is only accessible via ferry, making for an uncrowded beach environment. Climb aboard to be transported to this Eastern Seaboard utopia where you’ll share the shore with wild horses and deer in between shading yourself under live oaks.
Carova Beach, North Carolina
Finding a way to access this Outer Banks beach (it is only reachable by boat or with a four-wheel drive) is well worth the idyllic environment awaiting you. At Carova Beach in North Carolina, 11 miles (18 kilometers) of unspoiled shoreline provides an ideal backdrop for seashell hunting and wild mustangs galloping.
Enderts Beach, California
Think there are no secrets left in beach central California? Think again at Enderts Beach. Tucked inside California’s Redwood National Park, Enderts is as secluded as it gets. On this 37-mile (60-kilometer) coastline stretch, 350-foot (107-meter) evergreen trees, rustic driftwood, and dramatic surroundings put a Northwest spin on the classic California beach atmosphere.
Montaña de Oro State Park, California
Since you’re already in the Golden State, why not check out another of the state’s secret beaches, Montaña de Oro State Park? Here, sheltered coves and bluff vistas dot quiet coastal trails leading to seven miles (11 kilometers) of shore and surf.
Wildcat Beach, California
You’ll have to work for this last stop on your cruise through California. Wildcat Beach is known for its hiking and biking trails, like the five-mile (eight-kilometer) trek required to access the beach’s waters. Cocoa sand stretches, striking cliff views, and peaceful paths make the journey one worth experiencing—and finishing.
Dry Tortugas, Florida
Comprising seven islands only accessible by boat or plane, Dry Tortugas is an excellent option for a private getaway in Florida. Travel 70 miles (113 kilometers) from the shore (and crowds) of Key West, and be rewarded with superior bird-watching, snorkeling, and quiet beaches.
St. Joseph Peninsula State Park, Florida
Nearly 10 miles (16 kilometers) of snow-white sugar sand and aqua waters await you at Florida’s St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. Consistently rated as one of our country’s best beaches, St. Joseph also happens to be one of its emptiest, meaning you’ll enjoy unspoiled preserves, fishing, and swimming virtually to yourself.
Awahua Beach, Hawaii
When considering the best American beaches, one can’t forget about Awahua in Hawaii—although, luckily for you, tourists seem to have done just that. A one-time colony for lepers, the isolated island still isn’t as developed or popular as other Hawaiian locales. In fact, surrounded by sea cliffs, Awahua’s black sand and beautiful views may as well be a secret—your secret.
Kauapea Beach, Hawaii
It’s nicknamed “Secret Beach” for a reason. Hidden between Hawaii’s Kilauea Point and Kalihiwai Bay, Kauapea Beach is one secret you’ll want to discover. Brave a demanding 15-minute hike to be in on Kauapea’s black lava rocks, white sand, and tidal pools.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.