Little Rock is an incredibly surprising culinary destination: if you scratch under the surface, you’ll find out it’s home to numerous exciting, award-winning restaurants that are bringing a modern approach to cooking. We’ve updated our article on the city’s dining scene to bring you the 10 best restaurants and eateries in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Root Café
The motto of The Root café is Building Community through Local Food’, making it a socially conscious eatery that seeks to educate and enhance the local community in Little Rock. The Root hosts classes such as the Food Preservation Workshop in seeking to develop a better food education, and provides a venue for exhibitions, talks and live music. The Root’s ethos is noteworthy, yet it is its delightful cooking that pulls in the crowd. Using locally sourced ingredients, The Root offers superb burgers, bratwursts, sandwiches and award-winning vegetarian dishes. This independently owned local business is a refreshing addition to Little Rock’s culinary scene ? showing everyone that food can still be delicious even when it is cooked and sourced in a more sustainable way.
Ya Yas Euro Bistro
Ya Yas refers to grandmas, a name that suggests traditional, home-style dining and doesn’t disappoint with its dedication to old-school ingredients and tried-and-tested recipes. Executive Chef Elliot Carter Jones and his team create nostalgic dishes with a diverse range of influences, from Greek to Italian and French. And yet, despite the hearty dishes on offer, perhaps the most important aspect of dining at Ya Yas is the intimate, laid-back atmosphere perfect for joyful and uncomplicated dining.
Although they’re not orange just big the burgers do come in a huge variety of flavours and combinations at Big Orange, stacked with delectable accompaniments and ingredients, and served with the utmost attention to detail. With its ethos of ethical sourcing and sustainable development, the venue?s two branches are among the local favourites. Indeed, the ordering process here is also to the point: guests choose a type of burger, then pick a side and style of fries. The options are both eclectic and classic, with some of the most impressive burgers being the white truffle pecorino burger, or the curried falafel and lentil burger sandwich, truffle-garlic herb fries or sweet potato fries served with mango-curry ketchup.
Brave New Restaurant
Brave New Restaurant enjoys the perfect location on a river-facing dock, making it a great spot to explore Little Rock’s long history as a seafaring city. The skyline can be viewed from behind the plate of smoked salmon salad, the veal with wild mushrooms or mixed grill. The menu is updated regularly to keep Brave New Restaurant fresh and up-to-date. Its reputation as the best fine dining establishment in Little Rock is further enhanced by its performance in the recent Arkansas Times Readers. Choice Awards 2014: Brave New Restaurant was voted Best Overall Restaurant in Little Rock as well as being acknowledged for having the best chef in town, Peter Brave.
Flying Fish is s fun and relaxed place to dine by the Arkansas River. This is not a run-of-the-mill fish and chips stop, but rather a place that embraces everything to do with seafood culture. The menu showcases dishes such as fried oysters, jambalaya, crab legs, frog legs, grilled red snapper fillets sourced from South and Central America, fish tacos and the famous catfish, which is farmed in Arkansas and other regions in the USA. Flying Fish is a convivial spot that offers very reasonable prices for their freshly caught fish. Guests can also buy a shirt to remember the pleasure of visiting this award-winning seafood establishment in Little Rock.
Since opening in 2012, Local Lime has firmly cemented its reputation as a trendy Mexican eatery. It is an exciting place to eat, as the chefs are constantly looking for different ways to innovate within Mexican cuisine; for example, they recently announced a new creation: pork chop and grilled peach tacos served with tomatillo sauce, fresh cheese and lime. Other highlights are the fajitas with guacamole and the sizzling hot Pescado Veracruz served on an iron skillet with corn tortillas. The bar at Local Lime also impresses, offering a craft beer of the month, award-winning house margaritas and most importantly, the famous Mexican spirits, tequila and mezcal.
South on Main
More than just an original restaurant and dining space, South on Main is also a culinary experience headed by innovative chef Matthew Bell, whose cooking is the perfect accompaniment to the recitals, concerts and events that take place at the restaurant. With an unpretentious, home-cooked selection of dishes, South on Main retains its laid-back cool while serving up fantastic, rustic food: a highlight of the dinner menu is the grilled rib-eye with marinated zucchini and potato pave. Fresh ingredients, expert cooking and cultural content guarantee a fabulous experience at this recently opened Little Rock institution.
Located in the The Burgundy Hotel, this stylish venue is presided over by Head Chef Scott Rains, who accompanied the launch of the space on 28 August 2013. To celebrate its first anniversary, Table 28 celebrated by inviting customers to enjoy happy hour all day. Its New American menu is the perfect blend of creativity and simplicity, and brings modern favourites to the fore, from the biscuits and gravy to fusion-style surprises such as squid strips served in a basket. The eponymous Table 28 is reserved for special occasions, and presents a fantastic six-course tasting menu. With prices on the menu set according to an ethically calculated percentage of profit margins for producers and farmers, Table 28 also makes public donations to a local children?s hospital.
ZAZA Fine Salad & Wood Oven Co.
ZAZA prides itself on making the most authentic pizzas in town. The five constituents of the ZAZA’S pizza sauce are: imported San Marzano tomatoes grown in volcanic soil in Italy, extra virgin olive oil, basil, freshly-cracked pepper and Kosher salt. Then the trademark crispy crust of the pizzas is derived from using Italian flour Tipo 00, which is cooked in a hand-crafted wooden oven. It is this level of detail that has led to people praising ZAZA for baking what are arguably the best pizzas in town. Furthermore, the restaurant provides lustrous salads and luscious, natural gelatos made fresh each morning with milk, berries, nuts, fruits, water and all-natural cane syrup.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.