Located 35 miles west of Phoenix, Buckeye is known for its charming, small town atmosphere, which can serve as a welcome change of pace from the hustle and bustle of Arizona’s capital. Although its dining scene is still growing, an increasing number of independent venues are popping up among the restaurant chains that currently dominate the town. Here are our favorite.
The Verrado Coffee Company
The Verrado Coffee Company is a laid-back café, which offers locally roasted Espresso Italia coffee along with salads, wraps, and fresh pastries. The café’s bright interior features quirky artwork, a well stocked bookshelf, a kids’ corner, and comfortable seating, including a 30 foot long sofa. It’s a great spot to grab a quick coffee to go or to hang out on a rainy afternoon. The café hosts a regular lineup of interesting events, ranging from live music and community gatherings, to puppet shows and poetry readings.
The Verrado Coffee Company, 1829 N Verrado Way, Buckeye, AZ, USA,+1 623 215 6000
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Argento’s Pizza is a down-to-earth pizza joint with a menu featuring wings, pizzas, salads, calzones, pastas, and Italian entrées. The restaurant’s décor is basic and no frills, but Argento’s focus on fresh, house made ingredients sets it apart from Buckeye’s many chain pizza restaurants. Everything from the chicken wings and grilled chicken, to the dressings and sauces are prepared from scratch daily. The marinara sauce uses fresh plum tomatoes, while the meatballs are made with at least 90 per cent ground beef. Go for the Argento’s special pizza, which is topped with pepperoni, sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers, and red onions, or choose from the restaurant’s long list of toppings and create your own. Gluten free pizzas are available, and the restaurant offers daily specials.
Argento’s Pizza, 805 E Monroe Ave, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 623 386 9191
Located in the Verrado Golf Course’s rustic chic clubhouse, the Verrado Grille offers Southwestern-influenced clubhouse fare. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, the restaurant features wonderful views of the Sonoran Desert sunsets from its open patio and indoor/outdoor bar area. The eclectic menu includes a variety of soups, salads, sandwiches, seafood, and pastas, as well as char-broiled and grilled meat entrées. Don’t miss the slow-roasted baby back ribs, which are basted with a tangy BBQ sauce. The restaurant also hosts regular special events, including live music performances.
Verrado Grille, 4242 N Golf Dr, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 623 388 3013
Cafe 25 35
Cafe 25 35 is a low key breakfast and lunch spot set in a charming early 20th-century brick building. The restaurant takes its name from the Bible passage Matthew 25:35, which emphasizes the importance of community and reflects the café’s desire to serve as a friendly gathering place. The menu features breakfast sandwiches, omelets, fry-ups, and house-made baked goods, in addition to burgers, sandwiches, soups, and salads for lunch, along with rotating daily specials. Try one of the restaurant’s most popular burgers, the Arlington burger, a combination of pecan-smoked bacon, caramelized onions, provolone, and house made BBQ sauce served on a grilled split-top bun.
Cafe 25 35, 409 E Monroe Ave, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 623 386 2535
Tempo Urban Bistro and Coffee Bar
Tempo Urban Bistro and Coffee Bar is a trendy restaurant with a fresh, chef-driven menu. Another newcomer to Buckeye’s dining scene, the restaurant’s airy interior features industrial glass lighting, eclectic artwork, as well as wood and steel furnishings. It offers an excellent speciality cocktail menu; try the Moscow mule made with vodka, ginger beer, and lime. Highlights of the diverse dinner menu include the chicken and waffles, which features a homemade jalapeño cornbread waffle and a whisky maple sauce, as well as the Kobe cheeseburger with roasted garlic aioli.
Tempo Urban Bistro and Coffee Bar, 21067 W Main St, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 623 594 6788
Lalo’s Mexican Food
Tucked in an unassuming strip mall, Lalo’s Mexican Food can be a bit difficult to locate, but it’s worth the effort. The restaurant’s cheerful interior features colorful orange and red walls as well as a bar decorated with tiles. Owner Lalo Gonzalez prepares traditional Mexican dishes, including chimichangas, enchiladas, and fajitas, which are served with classic sides such as refried beans. The restaurant’s tamales recipe is said to be over 100 years old. A special section of the menu, Para Los Gringos, includes more American-style food.
Lalo’s Mexican Food, 6213 N Miller Rd #107, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 623 234 9483
Millstone Café is a cozy coffee house offering a light menu of sandwiches, soups, salads, and baked goods, as well as all day breakfast. The café’s comfortable, welcoming interior invites guests to linger and take advantage of the free Wi-Fi. Seating is also offered out on a lovely patio during the warmer months. Go for one of the Original Millstone Melts, which are hot open-faced sandwiches served on flatbread, or try the house made soup of the day. For drinks, the café offers coffee, espresso-based drinks, and fruit smoothies. Save room for a slice of pecan pie for dessert.
Millstone Café, 801 E Monroe Ave, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 623 327 3990
Located at the Copper Canyon Golf Club, Indigo Grille offers wonderful views of the golf course and White Tank Mountains from its beautiful dining room, lounge, and patio areas. The menu focuses on fresh, made-from-scratch ingredients, with everything from dressings to soups made in house. The restaurant’s seafood is sustainably raised, and its chicken and deli meats are all natural. Try the 6 oz. NY sirloin strip with a portobello mushroom sauce or the grilled salmon with a teriyaki glaze and jasmine rice. The restaurant also features different theme dinner nights Wednesday to Saturday, with menu inspirations ranging from Italian to Asian.
Indigo Grille, 26577 W Desert Vista Blvd, Buckeye, AZ, USA, +1 928 252 6783
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.