After another hot day in the desert city of Phoenix, Arizona, you’ll find a pack of locals and travelers cooling down in the nightspots. Join them in a trendy dive bar, tropical cocktail paradise or perhaps a rooftop lounge with views over folded mountain slopes.
Bikini Lounge has sat in the Arts District since 1946, and not much has changed since it first opened. But whether you would normally head to a tiki bar or not, it offers a slice of kitsch Americana only enhanced by the pool table. Drink straight-up cocktails under neon lighting as the jukebox blasts the oldies in a cult-movie atmosphere.
Breadfruit and Rum Bar is a stone’s throw from the Downtown Farmers Market, offering some of the most exciting cocktails in the state. With more than 150 premium rums, this is a Caribbean dream in tasteful surroundings. It’s not cheap, but you will leave with wobbly legs having dined well on island-themed food. The fact the business is run on a sustainable model is a bonus.
In downtown Phoenix, this dive bar is where the young and hip shoot pool and cut loose. Vintage arcade machines line the walls and board games will amuse you after you’ve selected from the wide range of beers. There’s also a stage, on which local bands play towards the end of the week – it can get busy. If cocktails are your thing, head to the Rose Room where you’ll find signature concoctions named after local politicians.
The Crescent, found just off W Van Buren Street in downtown Phoenix, is a local institution where you can catch bands on their way up. As a 500-capacity venue you get the intimacy and energy of live music at its best. The margaritas help a little, too. You can also dine on pseudo Mexican cuisine and sink drinks under the stripped awning out front.
If rooftops and fancy cocktails are your thing, head south of downtown towards the Warehouse District to the Hotel Palomar where al fresco drinking is taken to another level. Lustre Rooftop Bar is an ideal date-night spot, with a view of the distant mountains and the calmness that comes from being seated close to a pool. If you really want to relax, grab a comfortable cabana.
The MercBar brand began in New York City, and although the original has now shut, this Phoenix outpost has been going strong since 1996. Here classic dark wood paneling and sensual lighting creates an atmosphere where the well-heeled gather over fancy drinks. Throw on your posh frocks and opt from a selection of classic cocktails; try an old fashioned with a mezcal twist to mix it up.
Need a rest after the party ends? Find your ideal place to stay in Phoenix and beyond by browsing the best hotels in Arizona. Book now with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.