It’s been said that it’s hard to tell tourists and locals apart in Arizona since those who live in the state tend to wear shorts and are always taking photos of the landscapes. Certainly, the sunny Grand Canyon State is not the sort of place you want to get caught without a decent camera. Apart from America’s most famous natural wonder, Arizona is dotted with epic red-rock buttes, cacti fields and waterfalls for you to enjoy at your own pace.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Hermosa Inn was once the private, turn-of-the-century bolthole of artist Lon Megargee, famous for his paintings of cowboys and Arizona landscapes. The building remains as inspirational as ever with its location on six desert acres (2.4ha) at the foot of Camelback Mountain. Megargee’s spirit lives on in the restaurant LON’s – a historic hacienda with roughhewn beams that combine old-school cooking traditions with modern techniques.
Taking its name from the shadows cast by the nearby Camelback Mountain and Mummy Mountain, Mountain Shadows – in the heart of Paradise Valley – became a hangout for Hollywood stars after opening in 1959. Old-school Tinseltown glam has been replaced by slick luxury design after the resort was knocked down and built from the ground up in 2017. Modern rooms now come with granite and quartz countertops, hardwood floors and floor-to-ceiling glass to make the most of the mountain views.
There’s a saying at Tanque Verde Ranch: “The early riser gets the horse… and some blueberry pancakes.” A breakfast ride on an almost half-a-ton steed is one of the many ways you can indulge your inner cowboy at this dude ranch retreat on the edge of Tucson – among the rolling foothills of the Saguaro National State Park. If you prefer a more modern mode of transport, hire a mountain bike, jeep or UTV – or, for a change of pace, drop by the nature center for a close encounter with the critters that call the Sonoran Desert home.
A vintage car and brightly colored A-shaped entrance set the tone at this photogenic, 1960s modern art hotel in Tucson. There’s a bohemian, eco-friendly approach throughout – including upcycled furniture, low-flow water fixtures and a commitment to sourcing food and drink locally. The beer served here is brewed a stone’s throw away, the wine comes from Arizona and the coffee is roasted in Tucson. For even more of a local touch, check out the works of art in the lobby by homegrown artists.
The wine industry in Arizona dates back to the late 18th century, so it would be a shame not to try a few glasses before leaving the state. Winery Suites of Scottsdale makes it easy to go on a tasting tour by partnering with two local wineries, Aridus and SuVino. At the hotel, the wine theme continues with room names – Rhone, Viognier, Petite Sirah and Toscana – while you can swing by the nearby farmer’s market for something to pair with the tipple.
Rancho de Los Caballeros provides you with several options to explore the magnificent Sonoran desert. Get down and dirty with a nature walk or an ATV – visiting historic settlements from the gold mining era along the way – or look out over the canyons and surrounding mountains from a hot air balloon. You can also blast away at the skeet and trap shooting range – and as the sun sets, go for a cookout under the stars.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels in Prescott and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.