Tacos in Tucson, sashimi in Scottsdale – the food scene in Arizona refuses to be pigeonholed. Here’s our guide to some of the best restaurants in the state.
Arizona is a vast paradise if you have a thirst for adventure, and more recently it has gained a reputation among those with a more literal thirst: for craft draughts and fine wines. Accompanying the growing number of wineries and breweries in Arizona is a thriving food scene, sculpted by centuries of cultural influence from Mexico, Spain, and, of course, the Indigenous peoples of the Americas. With the already impressive number of James Beard nominations among talented Arizonan chefs growing yearly, it’s no wonder the state is becoming as well known for its eats as it is for its peaks. Here’s our pick of some of the best local-loved spots in the Grand Canyon State.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Cafe – Sonoita
Sonoita, at the intersection of Routes 82 and 83, in southern Arizona, is one of the state’s oldest wine-growing regions. Here, you’ll find sweeping vineyards, rugged ranches, and paths to towns such as Tombstone, Tubac, and Bisbee. You’ll also find Sonoita institution The Cafe, which was opened by chef Adam Puckle in 2010 and has been serving no-frills New American dishes – non-traditional variations of classic comfort food – ever since. On a scenic stretch of Route 82 overlooking virtually untouched desert landscapes, this small roadside diner is the place for you if you cherish friendly service, beautiful views, and heartwarming dishes. Don’t leave without trying the APE Burger, short for Adam Puckle Experience. It changes regularly depending on what local ingredients are in season, but it is always sensational.
Benjamin’s Upstairs – Scottsdale
In Old Town Scottsdale, hidden in a swinging speakeasy above the Citizen Public House, Benjamin’s Upstairs serves mouthwatering sharing plates paired with natural wines in a low-lit setting. You’d be forgiven for thinking this all sounds a bit too hipster-y, but don’t worry. Chef Ben Graham has made sure that for all the buzzwords, music, and stylish setting, what really stands out and gets the locals’ tongues a-wagging is the food: cornbread waffles with maple whiskey butter, yellowfin tuna sashimi with curry butter, white anchovies with speck and dill crème fraîche – it’s all outstanding. Particularly notable is Benjamin’s fried chicken with bourbon honey.
Vecina – Phoenix
The food scene in Phoenix is worthy of its own book. And worthy of an entire chapter in that book is Vecina, a Latin-inspired gem in the heart of the vibrant Arcadia neighborhood. The rotating seasonal menu is all killer and no filler. Think salmon tacos served with an addictive yuzu kosho aïoli, and tlayuda Oaxaqueña topped with manchego and smoked chicken. Taking center stage is the Chula hiramasa ceviche – yellowtail amberjack with grilled pineapple, coconut, Peruvian leche de tigre, and a crispy tortilla. The fried-chicken sandwich provides a strong supporting performance and is quite frankly the best in the Valley.
Proper Meats + Provisions – Flagstaff
More than just a pitstop en route to the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff has a bustling food scene that has been quietly expanding, one chic eatery at a time, for years. One such place is Proper Meats + Provisions on iconic Route 66, which opened in 2014. Half butcher’s shop, half restaurant, Proper Meats was created by Paul Moir, whose mission was to make locally reared meat more available to Arizonans. The cheesesteak, roast beef, banh mi, and burgers are all popular options, but the local favorite has to be the warm pastrami sandwich, which comes with grilled onions, Swiss cheese, and Carolina mustard – the pastrami is, of course, cured and smoked in-house.
The Local Press – Wickenburg
In the heart of historic Wickenburg, this small sandwich shack is about as Arizonan as it gets. The Local Press has an extensive sandwich selection, with highlights including the Mojo Cubano (roasted pork loin, capicola, white cheddar, pickled onions, mustard seeds, and mojo sauce) and the Muffaletta-ish (soppressata, prosciutto, capicola, chèvre, roasted red pepper, arugula, and artichoke tapenade). If by some miracle you’re still hungry after the sandwich, they also have freshly baked cookies that are sinfully good.
Javelina Leap Vineyard, Winery & Bistro – Cornville
In Cornville, two hours north of Phoenix, wild grapes grow abundantly along a riparian green belt known as the Verde Valley. It is in this valley of grapes that you’ll find Javelina Leap Vineyard, a beautiful, family-owned vineyard and bistro, which features a rustic tasting room and an excellent menu created by chef Michael Collier. Tuck into a signature charcuterie board with homemade tomato jam, or one of the fabulous flatbread pizzas, and enjoy it all on the private patio with a bottle of 2018 Rockslide. For a standout dish, try the Caesar soup – all the classic flavors of a Caesar salad condensed into a soup. Sounds bizarre, tastes amazing.
El Guero Canelo – Tucson
Tucson is a cultural melting pot, with deep Spanish and Mexican roots. It’s an outstanding place to visit if you want to try Mexican and Southwestern cuisine, and a meal at El Guero Canelo should be mandatory. The cheap and cheerful small chain is famous for its James Beard award-winning hot dogs, but deserves equal praise for its tacos, tortas, and caramelos (Tucson’s take on a quesadilla). Expect a fun, party atmosphere inside, with Mexican music blasting from the speakers and casual diners enjoying the undeniably delicious Sonoran-style hot dogs.
Learn more and start planning your trip to Arizona at RediscoverAZ.com
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.